Operating 2014 Limited After Low Transmission Fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denninc

Reaction score
You may want to watch this..

Could be the culprit.. Cheap fix if it is.

My 2010 Mountaineer had a similar issue to what you experienced and this was the cause.

OP
OP
J

JohnSKepler

Reaction score
Sure there is, it's just a pain to get to it. It's down on the side of the transmission.
Interesting. The manual says there is no dipstick. I’ll look around some more. They are always towards the back of the engine rather low and hars to get to, which is where I looked. I’ll get a step stool so I can really lean in and take a second look. Do you know if it is on th passenger or drivers side?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting. The manual says there is no dipstick. I’ll look around some more. They are always towards the back of the engine rather low and hars to get to, which is where I looked. I’ll get a step stool so I can really lean in and take a second look. Do you know if it is on th passenger or drivers side?

It's not a traditional dipstick, it's a Ford Rube Goldberg dipstick. Accessed from the passenger side of the transmission, on a lift, or jack stands...

Accessing the 2014 Expedition Transmission "Dip Stick"

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have the ZF transmission you will only have a fill hole but IDK if any of the Expys have that trans. They did put them in the Navigators for some reason.

OP
OP
J

JohnSKepler

Reaction score
“Automatic transmissions which use World Standard (WS) fluid are sealed and do not consume fluid. This eliminates the need for periodic fluid checking using a dipstick.”

Which emoji to use simply escapes me!

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Brought the Expedition home today. Drove it about 90 miles avoiding any big hills and got back no problem. Drove completely normal as far as I could tell. I brought two quarts of Mercon LV and a serving of Lucas Transmission Fix only to find there is no dipstick. In fact, there's no way to add any fluid at all! While annoying, it also means it isn't my fault for lack of maintenance. ;)

I'm confused, in your OP you said that haven't checked the fluid level in a while. How did your ever check it if you don't know where the dipper is?

Brons2

Reaction score

My 2010 Mountaineer had a similar issue to what you experienced and this was the cause.
I have done this repair on my back on the garage floor with the Navigator on jack stands. It's not difficult, just time consuming. And unfortunately the pan gasket was not reusable in my case as there was a large nick out of the rubber part, so I had to stop and go to the Ford dealer to get another one. I also stopped while I was out and bought some wobble extensions at Harbor Freight and that made getting the pan bolts back on a lot easier.

I also acquired an inch-pounds torque wrench before I started. You could probably just put them on "snug" by feel but I felt better using the Ford spec torque. And it doesn't leak using the torque spec, which is probably the most important thing.

Other parts used: new Motorcraft transmission filter, the plastic sleeve, and Lubeguard transmission assembly lube to make the filter stick in place as you're putting the pan back on.

Note: if you get a solid check engine light that comes on after plugging the PCM connector back up and putting the battery terminal back on, don't automatically assume it's wrong. After removing battery power the check engine light will come on for 8 seconds to indicate the system is not ready. I fussed over this for a couple of extra hours, but as it turned out everything was OK and the connector was attached appropriately.

OP
OP
J

JohnSKepler

Reaction score

Correct me if I am wrong, please, as I don't want to pay for expensive servicing if it is unnecessary: this problem seems like it would be accompanied by a transmission fluid leak. I haven't seen a leak of any kind. I had a coolant leak recently but have successfully repaired it. I will crawl under and check this to be sure.

I'm confused, in your OP you said that haven't checked the fluid level in a while. How did your ever check it if you don't know where the dipper is?
This is my... third Expedition. It's entirely possible that I am thinking back to another vehicle. And I don't usually record these checks so I'm relying entirely on memory. Based on when I bought it and how things have progressed in my life and in the world, I just never got to it and am remembering back to my '04 that I owned before this one.

I'm vetting repair nearby facilities and remanufactured transmission choices. Currently leaning towards a Jasper.