Ordered 5 star tuner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Asked fo 87 octane level in case we get a hurricane and fuel gets short in supply. Then got a 93 everyday and tow setting and 93 performance tune. Thinking I will use the 93 every day and tow setting unless somebody has a better idea.
Also, is this a complex installation? What are your thoughts if you have these tunes.

Edwin C Aldredge

Reaction score
N Guage or SCT?

I got 5 Star programs on an SCT Tuner for my 2010 FX4 with a 5.4L and it was pretty easy but it seemed to take FOREVER to return to stock for annual inspections.

I have an N Guage with MPT tunes on my 2018 Raptor and it seems to run through programs easier and quicker but I assume that is because of the N guage. Both are easy to work with.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Asked fo 87 octane level in case we get a hurricane and fuel gets short in supply. Then got a 93 everyday and tow setting and 93 performance tune. Thinking I will use the 93 every day and tow setting unless somebody has a better idea.
Also, is this a complex installation? What are your thoughts if you have these tunes.

I also recently got the N-Gauge from 5 Star. A couple of things that I'd recommend based on my experience. Make sure you have a USB to Mini-USB cable so you can power up the N-Gauge from your computer and directly transfer the tune files without having to fool with removing the micro USB card from the N-Gauge. Mini-USB is basically obsolete, and has been replaced by Micro-USB, so be careful if you end up searching on Amazon for a cable. I'd also recommend updating the N-Gauge to the latest firmware (instructions are on 5-Star's site).

I've been running the 93 everyday/tow tune and am pleased with it. Throttle response is definitely better and seat of the pants feels faster. If you really want to get on it in 2WD, you have to disable traction control since traction control intervenes very early even prior to wheel spin. With traction control off, I can enjoy launching reasonably hard without wheel spin in 2WD, but it's not hard to spin the tires with the tune if you so desire.

Fuel mileage doesn't seem to be affected for me. I still get around 20 mpg on my compute in hilly terrain with interstate driving, so I'm pleased on that front especially with the added available performance.

Tom T

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ngauge 5star ordered and installed myself the other day. There is a new FW 290. 5star said it is good...but on website is an older FW.

Tom T

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yes. Good instructions. Only thing, you won't find an Expedition 2018/19 in the gauge. You have to choose (or at least I did) the F150 2018/19 Ecoboost to read the vehicle

jolexey

Reaction score
Have you guys found out a way to make the Ngauge turn on when the vehicle turn on? I have to turn it on manually every time so far.

OP
OP
G

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It arrived today got the base down loaded and emailed. Had to call tech support they always return my calls fast. I ended up using a local shop I use to take care of it . It was a new n Guage they knew about but hadn't used. So far so good

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It arrived today got the base down loaded and emailed. Had to call tech support they always return my calls fast. I ended up using a local shop I use to take care of it . It was a new n Guage they knew about but hadn't used. So far so good

I highly advise you to change your spark plugs to a step colder and gap to 0.028”. Tunes require a tighter gap due to all the changes they make. Wider gaps are gonna cause spark blowout and misfires. I would change them before downloading the first tune they send you