Ordered an air intake!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But did it add any power? Drop some weight?]

It feels slightly stronger but I also trippled the size the intercooler at the same time so who knows what % goes to what part. It sounds 1000x better, but wish it were louder so I have the intercooler pipes waiting for the next time I have the bumper off.

The demand for efficient cars has made OEMs figure out all the tricks that used to be left on the table for the aftermarket... Also their abilities to monitor and control the engines has improved. Which brings us back to the fact that if you want real power you have to tune it. Until I'm in the home stretch of the factory warranty I won't really consider it. That doesn't mean I'm not going to have the hardware in place to take full advantage of the added boost when I go to turn it up. Having a slightly more aggressive sound will help prevent me from hitting the buy button over at 5Star... Until the time is right anyway...

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Dice Roll If all you want is more turbo whistle, I’ve had great success installing a drop-in K&N air filter into the factory box! More than likely isn’t going to provide as much whistle as a cold air intake, but for $40 and a trip to Walmart I couldn’t be happier.

I was reading amazon reviews and the eb seems to respond to these. Either they do free up things enough to make a difference or people are really letting 2018 stuff already go too long before new filter. Some guys reported slightly higher mpg with the kn

Big thing on the 7.3 was the egt dropped about 50 degrees consistently for guys running the open air filter. Hearing the whistle better means the turbo isnt struggling to suck in more air.

I’ll have to look and see if there are any easy to defeat baffles. On 90s 5.0 trucks it was just a hood pop to reach in and break the silencer off below the air box. I did mine and a buddy had a similar truck. When I did his he said I don’t know what you did, but it worked.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get that these turbos are a bit smaller than say a Greddy big boy turbo, but I have an AFE CAI and I love the increase in whine. It's not mind blowing, but I didn't want it to be. I'm happy with the purchase.

OP
OP
302Xplorer

302Xplorer

Reaction score
The intake is arriving tomorrow! I’m interested to see what kind of difference it will make working with the upgraded intercooler and everything else stock. With only the intercooler upgrade, the rear tires already want to break loose on hard acceleration w/ AdvanceTrac disabled (even with a full 27 gallons in the gas tank!).

OP
OP
302Xplorer

302Xplorer

Reaction score
Removing the factory intake this morning! 906ca8122292ef65e7e1dd1bc547f512.jpg911e1154927815c081c86ad2018870d5.jpg

I found something interesting; what are these things?409a3230f9b8ca6ad883df8540b82dd3.jpg0348e9942a1bad47de9af457dd4f747a.jpg
Do you all take them out or leave them in place?

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the Raptor and F-150 forums there are people that say their truck have more power and more whistle by removing them. The same people tell you how good their mileage is as well. I think the engineers say they help spin the air in the tube to have a smother air flow for the turbo to ingest and baffle the sound. I think their like McDonald’s ice cream. Do we really know what it’s made of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And some people said they would get a PCV code with them out and some wouldn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire