Overheating ecoboost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a new 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 - purchased new. It has the factory HD cooling package. I have never towed with it.

I live in the Midwest, and summer temperatures often reach the mid 90’s with oppressive humidity.

Since new, the cooling fans will make a very loud “roaring” sound when the temperature climbs above 90. I’ve had people comment on the loud fans and I returned it to the dealership for the noise. I was told that the loud roaring noise was normal, although there is no mention of it in the owner’s manual. It was so loud that you could hear the roaring fans with the window glass closed and the HVAC running on high fan setting.

Do you hear this roaring sound when the temperature gauge climbs? My reason for asking is I believe the computer is programmed to increase the cooling fans speed (to hyper speed.....) when the high temperature is extreme. The fans would increase to this high speed when I would stop for gas and leave the engine running.

Do you have the HD tow package?

rdlangston13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a new 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 - purchased new. It has the factory HD cooling package. I have never towed with it.

I live in the Midwest, and summer temperatures often reach the mid 90’s with oppressive humidity.

Since new, the cooling fans will make a very loud “roaring” sound when the temperature climbs above 90. I’ve had people comment on the loud fans and I returned it to the dealership for the noise. I was told that the loud roaring noise was normal, although there is no mention of it in the owner’s manual. It was so loud that you could hear the roaring fans with the window glass closed and the HVAC running on high fan setting.

Do you hear this roaring sound when the temperature gauge climbs? My reason for asking is I believe the computer is programmed to increase the cooling fans speed (to hyper speed.....) when the high temperature is extreme. The fans would increase to this high speed when I would stop for gas and leave the engine running.

Do you have the HD tow package?

Our 15 Limited has had very loud fans since the day we brought it home. I never suspected anything wrong, just the Ford used super powerful fan. It helps with the AC when stopped which is one reason I think they have them because they will turn on even though the engine has not reached operating temperature.

Now on to the OP post, my 15 has never moved from the middle point on the temp gauge and this include towing a 7000 lb boat from Houston to Branson Missouri in August last year and from Houston to Hot Springs in June of this year. These both have their share of inclines though not near the total elevation that you are at. At once Point on a hill it down shifted to 2nd gear to maintain 65-70 mph and never had a warning of any time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the loud roaring cooling fans as well with the AC on. I was also running premium fuel the whole trip and am running a 5* custom tow haul tune that is supposed to prevent overheating issues but that may just apply to the transmission. My return trip where it was 100 degrees I was going up and down hills between 2500 and 3k feet total elevation, so a far drop from the 7k+ near Yellowstone. I have some more mountain camping trips planned and will monitor the temps with my torque app, I will be interested to see what temps correlate to the guage moving so high and then immediately dropping.

rdlangston13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the loud roaring cooling fans as well with the AC on. I was also running premium fuel the whole trip and am running a 5* custom tow haul tune that is supposed to prevent overheating issues but that may just apply to the transmission. My return trip where it was 100 degrees I was going up and down hills between 2500 and 3k feet total elevation, so a far drop from the 7k+ near Yellowstone. I have some more mountain camping trips planned and will monitor the temps with my torque app, I will be interested to see what temps correlate to the guage moving so high and then immediately dropping.

Also maybe try to take the tune off and go back to stock.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Do you have the HD factory tow package?

OP
OP
C

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My tow haul tune is specifically designed to reduce transmission temps by keeping the converter locked and downshifting rather than unlocking the converter and then downshifting. Though as I've said, the transmission never went over 208 and sat at 203 or 204 for 90% of the 6 hour drive.

I'm heading out for another 6 hour trip tomorrow but without the trailer. I'll be hitting some of the same hills and will be watching to see if the guage moves as much when not towing. I'll be running premium on the trip there and 87 on the way back so I can compare highway mpg.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My tow haul tune is specifically designed to reduce transmission temps by keeping the converter locked and downshifting rather than unlocking the converter and then downshifting. Though as I've said, the transmission never went over 208 and sat at 203 or 204 for 90% of the 6 hour drive.

I'm heading out for another 6 hour trip tomorrow but without the trailer. I'll be hitting some of the same hills and will be watching to see if the guage moves as much when not towing. I'll be running premium on the trip there and 87 on the way back so I can compare highway mpg.

You’ve never said - do you have the Ford factory HD towing package?

Do you think the company that developed the aftermarket “tune” knows more about towing and equipment than Ford does?

rdlangston13

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I run the stock tune and my transmission stays in the same range as yours on hills