Overheating ecoboost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You’ve never said - do you have the Ford factory HD towing package?

Do you think the company that developed the aftermarket “tune” knows more about towing and equipment than Ford does?

Yes, I have the factory HD tow (included with the 202a package). I just made a 5 hour trip without the trailer on the same roads with the cruise set at 80mph and had no fluctuation of engine temps. The truck kept in 6th gear the whole time, outside temps were similiar. It seems when a downshift is needed and the rpms climb on a grade, the engine temp goes up. This is to be expexted, just not as high or as fast as the guage was indicating. I don't believe it to be a flaw isolated to my truck though after reading many similiar stories occurring in the F150s. The popular theory is Ford introduced a pcm update sometime in 2014 to the ecoboost drive train that too eagerly raises the red flag warning of an overheat when towing.

Moosee32

Reaction score
I just took my 7.5k RV over to Yellowstone and Glacier NP with no issues. Some big hills going up to Butte MT. I have the tow package and was watching the trans temp... it hit 223 but the gauge was still in the middle. Not sure where it gets too hot. 90+ degree days on some of the days pulling. Not sure what gear I was in... Next to the RPM is a section that should show the gears but mine is just blank.

OP
OP
C

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn't have a transmission temp issue, it was the engine temp (coolant) that got too hot in my case. If you press the up arrow from the screen that shows transmission temp you will see the coolant temp guage next to speedometer. If you are seeing 223 for more than a minute or two you should slow down and pull off to let the truck cool itself down while running at idle.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you press the minus button on the shifter it will display the gears for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the display is off, pressing either button (+ or -) will enable the display. The only way to turn it off is to press + until all gears are available, then press it one more time to turn the display off.

rdlangston13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah to make it up a hill. It was screaming at about 5,000 rpm or maybe a little over. Only for 5-10 seconds though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're in 2nd gear at that speed you should not be using cruise control. Just like you should not use it in the rain, hilly terrain is also not reccomended if the inclines are steep.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
If you press the minus button on the shifter it will display the
If you're in 2nd gear at that speed you should not be using cruise control. Just like you should not use it in the rain, hilly terrain is also not reccomended if the inclines are steep.

I dont own a 4th gen. But if I did I'd dare you to find where in the manual it would say that.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
If the display is off, pressing either button (+ or -) will enable the display. The only way to turn it off is to press + until all gears are available, then press it one more time to turn the display off.

This is so 2013 news.... move on would you, read a people's or US magazine once in a while........ it'll HELP you lol