Overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Canyon Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FIXED......................................Details to follow shortly

OP
OP
C

Canyon Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So here is what I did..........
1. Removed thermostat
2. Took off upper radiator hose and forced water through the hose back to engine
3. Did this for about 10 min while water ran through upper radiator hose connection
4. Quickly buttoned it up as not to lose to much water.
5. At this point we have 100% water in coolant system
6. Turned key to on position and temp gauge showed needle in middle.
7. Hooked up my computer and erased all engine codes
8. Started up vehicle, a little rough for a few moments then purred like kitten.
9. Ran for 35 min temp needle stayed in middle.
10. temp readings from ir gun. Upper 122 deg, lower 100 deg.
11. After 35 min of running all of a sudden temp gauge started to slooowly peg out.
12. Turned off vehicle and walked away shaking my head
13 At this time, the upper radiator hose reads 126 deg and the lower 102. And the computer says my head temp is 246

Forgot to mention. During this process the cap has been off the hole time

I have yet to put my multimeter on the sensors. And I have no codes anymore but I have been turning off engine before the temp gauge completely pegs out. I am done for the day but tomorrow I will begin checking the temp sensors

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
there is another way to check and that would be to get some resistors from radio shack and put across the connector and see how the gauge reacts

OP
OP
C

Canyon Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
:smile::smile:I am also a geek as well as gearhead. I have resistors in my basement

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Canyon Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
one way to check this would be to get a new sensor but don't install it just yet
connect it to the connector and see where your gauge reads if the gauge reads where it should be when its a cold engine then that would prove the original sensor is bad.

then with just having the new sensor connected try to put the sensor in some very hot water and see how the gauge reacts if everything then acts normal replace the sensor that's in the engine.

before doing this try to get the ohm reading on the new sensor

I will try this tomorrow. I still have the old motor and can get it off the old one

OP
OP
C

Canyon Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, I lied. I had a little energy left in me. I plugged in the sensor from my other motor and the temp gauge went to low where it should be

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carloss0712