Overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, I lied. I had a little energy left in me. I plugged in the sensor from my other motor and the temp gauge went to low where it should be

alright, I would, at this point, go ahead and replace the current sensor with the one you just tried then continue with diag if the problem persists.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you haven't installed the sensor try putting it in hot water or wrap a very hot towel around it to make sure the gauge reads.
about 200 deg should give you the half way point on the gauge

also get the ohm reading on the sensor this will be good information for future help

OP
OP
C

Canyon Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am 99% sure the sensor is bad. I swapped out sensors again, and with the old one the vehicle has problems starting and the temp gauge is half way. With the one from the other block, the temp gauge is at its lowest point and it starts right up. The sensor must send a signal to the pcm to adjust the fuel air mixture according to engine temp which makes sense due to the problems I am having. I will still take the resistance measurments tomorrow among a few other tests for the next poor bastard that has these problems. Now the fun will be pulling the intake manifold out and installing the sensor..woohoo

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That one is the cyl head temp sensor and it does send the signal to the PCM
That was why I suggested this morning to disconnect the battery to reset the PCM.
You instead disconnected the sensor which removed the problem and allowed you to start.

My question is do you want to installed a used sensor from your old engine you would you think it best to install a new sensor.

keep me posted

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're gonna keep this truck, go ahead and do the preventive maints. While you have the intake off. Replace plugs, replace coolant hose/pipe and what ever else I may be forgetting.. You will thank yourself later

chucks97expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just had something similar happen to my 97 that has 140,000 miles. I have already changed the heater core, radiator and water pump a while back and just last week had a boil over. Not an over heat but a boil over. It was like after it boiled over then it was fine. So first thing I did was go to every forum and read things about head gaskets leaking into the coolant and causing excess pressure. I changed the thermostat with one of those "fail safe" from autozone $25. As soon as i let it run and get to operating temp it boiled over again and then ran fine the rest of the day. Weird. So I thought for a bit. Well seems our trucks call for a 195 degree thermostat. Could it be as simple as the thermostat being to hot? Not opening soon enough until the boil over occurs and then opening and it being fine after? I went on Ebay and got a 160 degree thermostat from Jegs. $10. And also a new radiator/overflow cap. Guess what? I can watch the antifreeze rise in the over flow just a bit and then BAM the thermostat opens and its all good!! FIXED!!! sure some guys have the head gaskets fail but I would try the cheapest things first. Just my little bit of trial and error. Hope this helps someone out there :)

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just had something similar happen to my 97 that has 140,000 miles. I have already changed the heater core, radiator and water pump a while back and just last week had a boil over. Not an over heat but a boil over. It was like after it boiled over then it was fine. So first thing I did was go to every forum and read things about head gaskets leaking into the coolant and causing excess pressure. I changed the thermostat with one of those "fail safe" from autozone $25. As soon as i let it run and get to operating temp it boiled over again and then ran fine the rest of the day. Weird. So I thought for a bit. Well seems our trucks call for a 195 degree thermostat. Could it be as simple as the thermostat being to hot? Not opening soon enough until the boil over occurs and then opening and it being fine after? I went on Ebay and got a 160 degree thermostat from Jegs. $10. And also a new radiator/overflow cap. Guess what? I can watch the antifreeze rise in the over flow just a bit and then BAM the thermostat opens and its all good!! FIXED!!! sure some guys have the head gaskets fail but I would try the cheapest things first. Just my little bit of trial and error. Hope this helps someone out there :)

If you're still getting the boil over issue, you should start a thread if you haven't already, also, I would check for exhaust gas in the coolant. auto parts stores sell the kit.

chucks97expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope, the cooler 160degree thermostat fixed the boil over problem. Thanks I would have gone and had the coolant checked for exhaust gasses next for sure. She's running great now :))