Overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Canyon Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great news boys, You do not have to remove your intake manifold to remove sensor. I took a 19mm 3/8 drive socket and turned it down to OAL of 1.700. That now allows me to have a universal attachment on the socket along with an extension. That saves a bunch of time.

2014-10-04 11.08.48.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Canyon Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ALL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!. Took truck out for hour drive and all is well. So that sensor was the problem all along, and the trimmed socket worked great for removing it. Thanks everyone for all the help guys.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I remember reading one of the replies or one of your posts in this thread and thinking to myself "gonna be one of the coolant sensors, most likely the hardest to get to one as well" good to hear you've got her sorted out!

OP
OP
C

Canyon Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2014-10-04 10.54.08.jpg

Here yeah go.

For the guys who do not have a lathe ( I used to be a machinist) just take a cut off disc on a 4" angle grinder and that will work good enough. Then use a dremel with a stone bit and deburr the socket. Cut the socket to roughly 1 3/4 over all length. A little shorter is fine just stick the new sensor in the socket and you can see how much you can remove. You could also possibly trim off a little from the other side, possibly an 1/8 of an inch which would also help you out. But in my case I did not and everything worked out good.
I hope this helps out a few guys, and if I had to do it all over again I would check the sensor first with an ohm meter and go from there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Canyon Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As far as refilling the coolant with as little air as possible here is what I did.
1. Since the thermostat and housing is off I started to fill from there till it was topped off
2. I attached the radiator hose to the housing and left it elevated
3. I slowly filled reservoir up till it ran out of the top of the radiator
4. filled the elevated end of the radiator hose and then pinched it off a few inches from
the end and attached it to the radiator
5. slowly squeezed the upper hose and continually filled the reservoir
6. started vehicle and just let it idle and added coolant as needed

This whole process took less than 10 minutes and worked out well

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As far as refilling the coolant with as little air as possible here is what I did.
1. Since the thermostat and housing is off I started to fill from there till it was topped off
2. I attached the radiator hose to the housing and left it elevated
3. I slowly filled reservoir up till it ran out of the top of the radiator
4. filled the elevated end of the radiator hose and then pinched it off a few inches from
the end and attached it to the radiator
5. slowly squeezed the upper hose and continually filled the reservoir
6. started vehicle and just let it idle and added coolant as needed

This whole process took less than 10 minutes and worked out well

I had to fill mine up a couple of times after I bought it, to be honest, it's way easier to "burp" than my Buick was, you had to unbolt the res tank and raise it up after filling with coolant, then release a bleed screw until coolant came out, tighten the screw and put the res back in place, start car and allow it to run till the tstat opened, then re open the bleed screw to get the rest of the air out, took me 30 mins after adding coolant... :word:

the expy is pretty good about burping if you park the nose higher than the rear just slightly, it'll coax the air to move to the rad through the upper rad hose and out of the small hose going to the tank especially if you rev it to about 2k for a few seconds.

wcm7823

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok guys sorry been a while but im back home to figure out my demon expy...ive replaced the cht sensor...with the new temp gauge is still reading halfway between cold and hot when engine has been sitting all night. my wife has been able to drive it for 3 weeks but barely. now the airbag light is on so now im assuming it may be a bad pcm. im getting "new" error codes so im gonna order a used pcm. anything I should look out for when ordering

2139f776d983bb8389f62d6f3caa7a8e.jpg

Last edited:

mvalenz

Reaction score
What didyou do to take care of the overheat issue?

what did you end up doing to take care of the overheat issue? I also have a 2004 expedition and I've replaced the thermostad and the water pump. my truck keeps overheating.