Overlanding in Expy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Really, you have to decide what overlanding means to you. I have a somewhat built up Jeep Wrangler but that doesn't mean because I have a jeep it can conquer EVERY trail. There are limits for it too and I know what those limits are and I avoid things that I know I can't do.

I think the expedition is a pretty good suv and as long as you keep within its capabilities it would make a great overlanding expedition vehicle. I wouldn't take it on the Rubicon though.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any year Expedition / Navigator is a fantastic, dare I say, the IDEAL perfect vehicle.
To trailer your overland rig to the point where pavement ends.

So “overlanding” is actually more about not returning the same way you came from- making a big loop with the start and end points being your home. So “trailering” your overland rig is fairly pointless. Overlanding is usually less about 4wheeling and more about getting to remote areas and having the vehicle play a main role in the trip. I’ve done several multi day, multi night trips in my 1st gen which involved trails that a Ford Escape could easily handle.

So yes, I guess I’ve “overlanded” in my Expedition- just not a 4th gen.

My favorite mods:
Drawers for the cargo area
Eezi-Awn platform rack for the roof
Ram Mount for the dash to hold iPad.

I’d like to add:
Awning for shade
4.10 gears to help with the larger/heavier wheels/tires and extra weight of gear
Swingout tire carrier to be able to carry my matching spare, extra gas, trash on the outside of vehicle (Trasharoo) and provide a fold down table.

I camp with an Oztent RV-5 and a Yeti 65 cooler. I sleep on a cot with a backpacking style air mattress and a Coleman sleeping bag- wool blanket if it’s cold.

See the link below to get some pictures.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Aren’t they pretty much near the end of their life? The ones I’ve seen have as many miles as a one way trip to the moon.

Government agencies tend to sell at 120 - 170 OR after an accident

And since nobody on their end cares, they won't bother hiding the extent of the accident

So nah it isn't that scary

Adam Huskins

Reaction score
I’ve done a bit of overlanding in my Expy. It has a 3/2 lift with 35x12.5 Toyos and I would say it is quite capable for an overland vehicle. I wouldn’t recommend doing the Red Clay Rally with it but for exploring and camping (I use a full size blow up mattress inside) it is pretty great. I would like to have a swing out tire rack but I would think it would need to be hitch mounted. Also, with my setup anything adding height would need to be removable as parking garage fit is sketchy as is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve done a bit of overlanding in my Expy. It has a 3/2 lift with 35x12.5 Toyos and I would say it is quite capable for an overland vehicle. I wouldn’t recommend doing the Red Clay Rally with it but for exploring and camping (I use a full size blow up mattress inside) it is pretty great. I would like to have a swing out tire rack but I would think it would need to be hitch mounted. Also, with my setup anything adding height would need to be removable as parking garage fit is sketchy as is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think our Navigator will get us pretty much anywhere we want to go. We are going to be pulling a overland trailer soon so that will cut down on some trails but we can always set up base camp and go explore those if we wish. The rest of the more technical 4x4 stuff isn’t what we are after anyway. I’ve seen plenty of full-size overland guys on FB going places I would consider impossible but they get it done.

OP
OP
Rancidlunchmeat

Rancidlunchmeat

2019 XLT FX4
Reaction score
So “overlanding” is actually more about not returning the same way you came from- making a big loop with the start and end points being your home. So “trailering” your overland rig is fairly pointless. Overlanding is usually less about 4wheeling and more about getting to remote areas and having the vehicle play a main role in the trip..

Thanks, Tom! That was the type of response I was looking for. I appreciate the list of helpful mod's, I'll look into those.

steeltoe

Reaction score
people used to go overlanding in wood panel station wagons and model-Ts. yeah a lot of people add some high performance off-road mods so they can go hill climbing or over washed out trails, but all it takes to count as overlanding is being self-sufficient on a long distance route that goes off pavement. camping gear, cold food (& beer) storage, extra fuel and recovery gear are more important imho than massive suspension and 40" tires. probably still want some upgrades to see the good stuff but a full size 4wd v8 suv should be able to cut it for most people as long as you're not driving up rutted out creek beds the whole time.

OP
OP
Rancidlunchmeat

Rancidlunchmeat

2019 XLT FX4
Reaction score
people used to go overlanding in wood panel station wagons and model-Ts. yeah a lot of people add some high performance off-road mods so they can go hill climbing or over washed out trails, but all it takes to count as overlanding is being self-sufficient on a long distance route that goes off pavement. camping gear, cold food (& beer) storage, extra fuel and recovery gear are more important imho than massive suspension and 40" tires. probably still want some upgrades to see the good stuff but a full size 4wd v8 suv should be able to cut it for most people as long as you're not driving up rutted out creek beds the whole time.

Has anybody put a min fridge in the center console? I guess it'd need to be rather small... Maybe it's better to just get a larger one and plug it in in the back? Certainly cheaper, after a quick search it looks like min fridges for the center console run over $1k, which is absurd.