Oxygen Sensors preventive maintenance - Great Input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do not have an issue with them, no DTC or CEL. They have never been change since I have owned the truck. Is there a service interval or do just wait until they go?

OP
OP
J

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Ray. had the vehicle in for service and they said they should be changed. I have no codes like I said would it help with fuel economy? Found someplace were it said they should be change around every 100K but nothing in Ford service recommendations.

OP
OP
J

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's a webpage I found:

http://www.obdii.com/articles/Replacing_Oxygen_Sensors_Preventive_Maintenance.html

PREVENTING DRIVEABILITY PROBLEMS
Many driveability problems can be prevented by simply replacing aging O2 sensors for preventive maintenance. Though some import vehicle manufacturers recommend replacing O2 sensors at specific mileage intervals, others do not. Even so, replacing the sensor as regular preventive maintenance can provide numerous benefits.

Bosch recommends replacing unheated one- or two-wire O2 sensors on 1976 through early 1990s applications every 30,000 to 50,000 miles. Heated three and four-wire O2 sensors on mid-1980s through mid-1990s applications should be changed every 60,000 miles. And on 1996 and newer OBD II-equipped vehicles, the recommended replacement interval is 100,000 miles.

A good oxygen sensor is essential for good fuel economy, emissions and performance.

If a vehicle with a sluggish O2 sensor is only averaging 18 mpg, and is driven 12,000 miles a year, replacing the sensor can save $100 or more a year in fuel bills if the new sensor improves fuel economy 10 percent to 15 percent (which it often can). It’s not a big savings, but there are other benefits, too. As we said earlier, bad O2 sensors are a major cause of emission failures, as well as a leading cause of catalytic converter failures. Replacing an aging O2 sensor for preventive maintenance, therefore, is recommended not only to restore peak fuel efficiency and to minimize exhaust emissions, but to also prolong and protect the life of the converter, too.

Last edited:

briangelc

Reaction score
do not change unless it throws a code. these components can last 30K miles or 200K. why change it at 29K if it is still functioning? its easy to get to, and not a big deal if it fails. the fix-it-before-it-breaks approach only applies to vital parts that are difficult/expensive to access, like water pumps during a timing belt change, throw-out bearings during clutch replacement, etc.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The front O2's control the engine, until 2200 rpm. At that point the engine goes into "open loop" full power/low economy mode. The rear only monitor emissions.

Gumbyalso

Reaction score
I have a 2000 EB 5.4 that I bought new. I now have nearly 292K on it. I have never changed an O2 sensor. The mileage is the about the same as it was when new, if not a little better. The only things really different from stock are a K&N air filter and I'm now using 20% Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak. Both of those added a little to mileage. Drove it 460 miles each way to the Smokies a couple weeks ago and got 17 on the way up hill and 19 on the way back, mostly at 70 mph. I wouldn't touch one of those O2 sensors without a CE light. My wife has a 2011 XLT. When it rains real hard she gets a P0130 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1 that clears itself after it dries out. My guess is that it's the connector, but I haven't examined yet. That sensor and connector are in very difficult places to reach. I wonder if anyone else has seen that?

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The passenger side front O2 on the V8s, looks like its tough to get at. As far as the preventive maintenance change, I call BS. OBDII emissions, can throw a code(PO420), with a carbon covered, rear O2. Name brand gas stations, use additives, that keep everything clean. That and a good highway flogging, will keep them clean. I heard the aftermarket sensors, are not as good as originals. A bad front sensor, will throw a code. The engine will run, but in failsafe, open loop mode. The mileage will drop. The dealer has a scan tool, that can read, what each O2 sensor doing and if they work correctly.