Oxygen Sensors - DIY - my experience - 3 out of 4 done - Passenger Side Downstream/Heat Shield Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aa240sx

Reaction score
At 154000 miles, I finally decided to change my oxgen sensors. More preventative though since I'm not getting any codes. Though, I am hoping my fuel economy might get better. I went with Denso's from RockAuto and since my original oxygen sensors are nearly 20 years old and are likely due.

The upstream and downstream sensors on bank 2 (driver side) were super easy since they were pretty exposed and there was no heat shield.

The upstream sensor on bank 1, however, proved to be a major challenge. I used the small crow's foot type sensor socket, but there's very little space to maneuver so was fighting it most of the way. The larger challenge was getting the plug, unplugged. I basically had to go in through the wheel well after removing part of the wheel well cover. My hand just could not get in there to unplug the sensor. It seems at least for me that the trans fluid dipstick was getting in my way. So, I unbolted it and this gave me just enough room to unplug it.

Unfortunately, I gave up on bank 1, downstream oxygen sensor. There's a metal heat shield here that blocks any access to the plug and makes it impossible to put a wrench on the crow's foot sensor socket. Is the only way to get at this sensor to remove the heat shield? It appears to be held in by 4 bolts, but even if I were to get the bolts off, can the heat shield even move?

Is there a better way to go about removing the sensor? At this point, I've given up and will just have to be content with 3 out of 4 sensors, done.