P0171 Error

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input everyone... I've never signed up for a forum for anything before. I'm very impressed with the quick feedback and knowledge with this one though.

Thank you we accept VISA, AMERICAN EXPRESS, MASTERCARD and PAYPAL.

:D

Fine bunch here for sure.

Big Red Monster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input everyone... I've never signed up for a forum for anything before. I'm very impressed with the quick feedback and knowledge with this one though. I'll keep working on it and let everyone know the end result.

reason you got such quick feedback on this problem is because damn near all of us have experienced this problem already lmao

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
UPDATE.......

After speaking with a friend, he said that because my old fuel filter dumped out black dirty gas when I changed it, I may not have been getting fuel all the way through bank 2 to bank 1. Thus creating a bad gas/air mixture and running lean. Also he thought my fuel injectors may be a bit clogged because of the dirty fuel filter so I've run some cleaner through it and he reset my CEL. I've done about 75-80 miles since and no CEL light. Hopefully it stays off and I save myself from doing a $500 manifold gasket change.

SIDE NOTE: I did my front air shocks today (first time ever doing shocks and did them by myself). Woohoo.... The first one took about 5 hours then I realized that I don't have to be all that gentle and sometimes a sledge hammer is appropriate. Especially when the bolt seems to have fused the threads to the rest of the metal. I literally tried cutting it out (apparently sawzalls can't fix everything). Second one took less than 30 minutes.

Thanks again, I'll update further if it isn't fixed and let you know what the outcome was for my P0171 code. Hopefully soon I'll be able contribute back as much info that has been contributed to me.

Exia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Best way to help your fuel fill it up and pour some lucas fuel stabilizer in it

jdan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Search my threads. This may help.
I'd give you a link but it's kinda hard to on a phone.
This thread explains how common PCV hoses rot and cause symptoms like yours.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343175487.230022.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343175487.230022.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 111
OP
OP
M
Reaction score
I think my buddy told me to use sea foam. I've been using Lucas here and there especially after the CEL came on but it was before the filter change. What cleaner do you guys prefer?

Exia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think my buddy told me to use sea foam. I've been using Lucas here and there especially after the CEL came on but it was before the filter change. What cleaner do you guys prefer?

Lucas, in my opinion is the best, unless you want to buy about 5 bucks of 100+ Octane to put in it. Only do that once a year and only add about 1/3 to full tank. And yes 100+ Octane is race fuel

tsgrpr97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The effectiveness of bottle additives is hotly debated. If you're serious about cleaning the top end and injectors take it to a service station with a motor vac machine. During the service they first physically clean the throttle body and intake, then they pull the feed line from the pump and attatch it to the machine and the machine to the vehicle. The vehcile runs while the machine fills up with gas from your tank. While this is going on the mechanic also measures fuel pressure. When the machine is full, the feed and return lines from the vehicle are put on a closed loop so the pump can run un interrupted throughout the service. Meanwhile the machine has mixed the gas with detergents etc. (Motorvacs formula). The feed and return lines from your fuel rail are connected to the machine and the motor is started and runs on the concotion for a half hour or so. The additives don't burn during combustion they vaporize. Costs between 100 and 200. Pouring sea foam in through the pcv hose is sort of the same principal, but the motor vac is a more thorough and effective approach.

Also, imho depending on the design of your intake liquid seafoam will just pool in the intake instead of vaporizing into the chambers. Lots of smoke from it burning off but not real great results. They also make a spray cleaner to spray into the intake and that WILL get into the combustion chambers and work. But the motor vac is still more thorough than this. I've read TSBs recommending the spray cleaner approach for carbon buildup in the top end.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Exia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Costs between 100 and 200.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Yes it takes 30 minutes, but you didnt factor in the 2 hours labour fee that dealerships will charge thats an extra ( dependin where you live ) 79 to 89 bucks an hour.

I have been through that with my brothers SRT8 Challenger, they charged 400+ for the fuel system flush. But again different places different prices.

To be honest the additive you use is your choice, one person will say, STP, and another seafoam, or suggest evasive $200 to $300 procedures, try different things, once you find what your looking for and it works for you use it. In the long run we can suggest things, but each person has their own preference.

Last edited: