P0341 and P0346 error

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ran Forscan as a check before we go on a trip this coming weekend. It is showing 2 camshaft position errors, P0341 and P0346. It seems to be running great. There is no MIL showing. Could it have been some transient error? Where are the those sensors on this engine? I'm a little concerned since we are supposed to be heading off for a 1500 mile trip.

Any ideas?

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There may have been a a 'glitch' at some time in the past that set that code. IIRC, this is a "permanent" code that does not clear when the condition is no longer present. Nor does it set the MIL on. If you are experiencing a problem with the cam position sensors, the engine will run like crap or not at all.

I would clear the code and drive normally, checking for a return of the code.

OP
OP
D

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's kind of what I thought, but wanted a second opinion. I'll reset it before I leave work and see what it looks like in a day or so. If it shows up again, guess we'll take my son's truck and pack 4 people and the dog into that.

I did see a video where the error code was caused by an alternator diode going out and causing a lot of noise. I'll monitor that also.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can
That's kind of what I thought, but wanted a second opinion. I'll reset it before I leave work and see what it looks like in a day or so. If it shows up again, guess we'll take my son's truck and pack 4 people and the dog into that.

I did see a video where the error code was caused by an alternator diode going out and causing a lot of noise. I'll monitor that also.
You can be sure that the "item of issue" here is the sensor, and not the camshaft. Camshafts don't fail intermittently nor do they fix themselves. Replacing the sensor is a "2" on the difficulty scale. Most of your time will be finding the damn thing.

OP
OP
D

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm sure it isn't the camshaft... Sensor, wiring, or electronics noise is the probable issue. I get weird issues with this truck that just go away though. Had a transmission leak for 2 days, then stopped. Had a coolant leak that looked like it was coming from the water pump, stopped after a day, then looked like it was from driver's side crossover pipe with coolant under that connection and along top of engine on driver's side. Blew it out. No more leaks and not losing coolant or having an issue. It's a confusing vehicle...