P0453 MYSTERY Part or fix question 2005 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see the assmblies online for about 225$ range - this might be a good junkyard part if you're looking for just the sensor alone: drop the empty fuel tank, snip, snip, snip and BAM! Sensor.

OP
OP
Monster63

Monster63

Reaction score
That may be what I do. Just waiting to see how Ziggys repair goes.

Ziggy

Reaction score
Final Update - Just got my Exp to pass inspection. Replaced the fuel line system as recommended by ford, drove it for maybe 50 miles after and all the emissions readiness codes passed. In summary:

Part Cost: ~$225
Labor: 3-4 hrs

I was able to do this without the use of a lift. Jack the entire drivers side up. Crawl under the car and disconnect two hose lines towards the back of the tank (yellow clip connectors, depress the yellow clip and pull the lines apart). Go to the front of the tank and disconnect one line up there (WARNING- there is a metal line up there also, I didn't feel like messing with it and left it connected, if you plan on completely removing the tank you'll have to figure that out). Also, disconnect the rubber hose from the filler neck at the back of the tank. Place a jack under the belly of the tank (i would recommend a transmission jack - otherwise have someone help you keep it balanced), unbolt the straps and slowly lower it down. There are a few connectors connecting to the pump, disconnect them if you want (I didn't - just keep an eye on them so you don't rip them). To remove the hose there are 3 more hose connections (small one at the front, big one in the middle, and a small one in the back). Lastly disconnect the connector to the sensor (whole damn reason you are down here) and remove the hose assy. Reverse to install.

Lessons learned - Help is nice, but I didn't it mostly on my own. Had my wife come up and pump the jack while I kept it balanced for re-installation, but otherwise alone. Should go without saying to try to do this when you have little to no gas left in it. I prob drove 25 miles past when my gas light came on and it was still heavy as hell. You could prob replace just the sensor, however it is heat shrink-ed onto the hard hose - would have to cut the tubing, use a hose, and then the sensor inline to the hose - personally I would suck it up and spend the extra $150 and replace the whole damn thing. While lowering and raising the tank keep an eye on the back portion of the tank, it kept catching on the strut bar back there.

I don't know how to upload pictures to forums anymore since Photobucket lost their minds, but here is a link to some pictures on my google drive... https://drive.google.com/open?id=1X7BTFF5NEugzxoNGI7DyjAYUA3vY3rWS

I doubt I'll check this forum again so good luck to anyone in the future.

Monster - I'll PM you my phone # - feel free to shoot me a call or text if you have any questions when you get around to doing the work. Good luck to you.

OP
OP
Monster63

Monster63

Reaction score
Thank you. Been awhile but I am gonna try this within the next few weeks.

David E

Reaction score
ZIGGY .. Just in-case you are looking at this. Thanks A LOT!
Your info is pretty priceless. Having to do the same now on my 05 (P0453) this information and the pics are great to have. Unfortunately the part is no longer available anywhere! So il try and get it from the "yard".