P1464 A/C out of range

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Copper93

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife hit a deer about 3 weeks ago and we just got the Expy back, 2013 Limited. Since it has been back the fans have been cycling on and off at high speed. The deer took out the front end, radiator, condenser, oil and tranny cooler. I ran a scan and test with FORscan and the only code that is coming back is P1464 A/C out of range on self test. I'm thinking the high pressure switch bad. Any other recommendations?

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Put a gauge manifold on it and go from there. Testing pressure switches is pretty easy but you need to know what the pressure actually looks like

OP
OP
C

Copper93

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I put the gauges on it tonight. The ambient temperature was around 70. The pressures were all over the place. The static pressures were 90 and running they were hitting low side 60 and high side 300 or more. Figured it was over filled by the body shop. I release some of the pressure and then it stopped blowing cold air. I vacuumed the system down and refilled with 36oz of refrigerant but the pressures are way to hit again. I did notice when the fan turns on the pressure drops somewhat normal ranges. I also notice I have no fan running with the A/C. This is a factory dual fan set up. The left fan does not turn on and the right fan turns onto high for a minute until the pressures drop.

Any suggestions on where to start would be great. I don't want to take it to the dealership but I can't figure this one out.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I put the gauges on it tonight. The ambient temperature was around 70. The pressures were all over the place. The static pressures were 90 and running they were hitting low side 60 and high side 300 or more. Figured it was over filled by the body shop. I release some of the pressure and then it stopped blowing cold air. I vacuumed the system down and refilled with 36oz of refrigerant but the pressures are way to hit again. I did notice when the fan turns on the pressure drops somewhat normal ranges. I also notice I have no fan running with the A/C. This is a factory dual fan set up. The left fan does not turn on and the right fan turns onto high for a minute until the pressures drop.

Any suggestions on where to start would be great. I don't want to take it to the dealership but I can't figure this one out.
Check the fuse and wiring for that left fan. Typically 1 fan will run constant when the AC is on and thats probably the one thats not running.

OP
OP
C

Copper93

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Another example of the "KISS" (Keep It Simple Stupid) solution. I checked the fuses, relays and then the connections. The connector to the low speed fan was loose. I pushed it until it clicked and all is right in the world. The A/C pressures are normal and the low speed fan is humming away.

Thanks for the help

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You stated it was overfilled by the body shop. Did they do the work or you? If they did the work, why are you [emoji205] around trying to figure out what they screwed up? Just bring it back there. If you claimed the accident on your insurance, get ahold of your agent. Tell them you want a different shop to fix the AC, it's your right.we can go through 20 or more posts here, with a dozen different guesses as to what the body shop screwed up. But why?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
You stated it was overfilled by the body shop. Did they do the work or you? If they did the work, why are you [emoji205] around trying to figure out what they screwed up? Just bring it back there. If you claimed the accident on your insurance, get ahold of your agent. Tell them you want a different shop to fix the AC, it's your right.we can go through 20 or more posts here, with a dozen different guesses as to what the body shop screwed up. But why?

He was guessing that the body shop overcharged it but turned out that wasn't the case.

For some bringing it back to the body shop is easiest/cheapest but for others its just an inconvenience. No one should have to bring a car back but we all know things happen. I prefer looking into things myself first just to save myself some trouble and sounds like thats how the OP was looking at it.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's true gixer if it's an easy fix. With AC, not so much. Most individuals don't fully understand how to diagnose A.C components, myself included. He's probably miles from the shop, but he must have gotten a rental car paid by insurance, or had another vehicle to drive, so my point is why kill yourself trying to figure out someone else's mistake, and have to Shell out unnessary cash. Maybe it's just me.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
That's true gixer if it's an easy fix. With AC, not so much. Most individuals don't fully understand how to diagnose A.C components, myself included. He's probably miles from the shop, but he must have gotten a rental car paid by insurance, or had another vehicle to drive, so my point is why kill yourself trying to figure out someone else's mistake, and have to Shell out unnessary cash. Maybe it's just me.

Its always good to know your limit and considering it would be a free repair its not worth getting to the point where your "killing yourself" over it. If its not simple send it back but to avoid the inconvenience always take a look on your own.