P2198 after all new O2's and Cats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adkinsc20

Reaction score
So, I love my Expy but the wife is starting to get frustrated with putting money into it. about a month ago we had the local shop cut all four cats off, weld up two new fronts and delete the two rears as well as change all four O2 sensors. It ran amazing and still seems to be but this morning the engine light was on with a single P2198 code stored. I'm not sure what to check exactly with just the one code thrown. It seems to be running fine. I also replaced the number 4 CoP around that time too as it was probably not firing at all but i didn't think to check the plug for some reason. I'm thinking maybe start with the plug but was just seeing if any of the wise sages here had any other suggestions before i spend the day on that ridiculous number 4 plug. Thanks and 73

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your code is your computer telling the 02 sensors that their working outside their parameters, usually rich. Surprised it took this long after removing those 2 cats. If it's running ok, and your not due for smog or vehicle inspection, just let it be for now. If that's the only code you might want to run fuel trims, and see where your at. Do you have any exaust, or intake leaks?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Cooper

Reaction score
You could get the computer reflash. But I think the computer will relearn and become normal after awhile of driving. They get lump sided if you go too look in not reairing certain issues

OP
OP
adkinsc20

adkinsc20

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I thought I'd read something about the dummy light coming on after deleting the rear cats but it's been a bit so I wasn't sure. No emissions tests thankfully as I'm in Ohio. Moose, as far as I can tell there isn't any exhaust leaks , I'm going to climb under and take a look. It's possible there could be an intake or vacuum leak, I think the vacuum lines are about to the end of their useful life. I've only changed the two that come up from the exhaust and the one that come off the back of the intake and around the passenger side.

John Stephan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check for air/vacuum leaks. The engine may be pulling in unmetered air. You can spray brake clean around the engine bay and listen for rpm change or sprinkle water and listen for the gurgling sucking sound.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk