P71 Alternator swap on a 3rd gen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

briandye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Limited, non-EL. Been looking to upgrade the alternator, because with the stock setup, in the morning or night, having headlights, AC or heat (as well as rear) and my blinkers going, obviously is a huge draw on the system. I plan on overhauling the stereo soon (4 channel amp for the doors, plus sub/sub amp), as well as electric fan swap and some other electronic goodies.

I was comparing the Crown Vic alts to ours, and they look nearly identical, but the P71 has the smaller “underdrive” clutched pulley, which will give more amps at idle as well. Those are rated at 200a, but tested up to 240. That would be more than enough for me.

Has anyone swapped one? I have a stock Vic alt at home, from when I switched my stock to a P71, so I can test fitment, but I’m curious about actual output possibilities.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ebay shows 250 and 300 amp versions, supposedly, speced for 5.4l Expeditions, again supposedly

OP
OP
B

briandye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, but those are no names, typically never last, common to burst into flames, and those ratings are typically “up to” 300a at some ridiculous 5-6k RPM range, less than stock at idle.