Parking Sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ElliottM

Reaction score
OK, after reading this thread, it gives me doubt about what I want to do, but I'll pose the question here anyway. I have a '16 XLT with the rear sensors, and I think I want to install front sensors. For prior vehicles I've purchased sensor systems off eBay, and they've worked quite well. My question is, is there a way to purchase after-market sensors for the front and integrate them with the vehicle's existing system? As I type this and think through it, I realize one problem would be the backup sensors only work when in reverse.

I'd appreciate any advice on doing this.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The owner's manual says that they activate at about 30" when you are in drive and stopped or moving slowly. I have noticed when backing up into my driveway, if the wind is blowing and the bushes are moving, I get the vehicle approaching from the side warning tones.
i get it with my garbage can if i am just right ...cracks me up
fronts go off in traffic every now and then , i think its glare or maybe just an ugly car in front of me.. no reason..they just go beep, then silent.

AK_Zack

Reaction score
My fronts go off randomly too! Not often enough to take it in but I always find it odd, and it's usually only a few beeps. I have a 2016 Platinum.

Daryl Lang

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expediton Limited 4x4 - purchased new and never wrecked or damaged. The vehicle was ordered by me and picked up with 2 miles on it - two days after it arrived.

Since new, the FRONT parking sensors will activate intermittently with no pattern. The owner's manual states to keep the sensor clean and clear - and I have checked them several times. They look perfect and are not out of place. I took it to the selling dealer who could not duplicate the problem and of course, found no codes.....

I've also had the problem of a random "Trailer Wiring Fault" message appearing on the dash display. I have never towed with the vehicle and have never even opened the four and seven pin connectors. I took a picture of the warning and took it to the dealer. They could not duplicate and of course, found no codes.......

I've also had the problem of entering the vehicle, starting the engine with the push button start - and before driving away - the dash displays "No Key Detected". I replaced the battery in both fobs but continued to get the warning intermittently. I took it to the dealer who could not duplicate the problem and of course, found no codes........

Very frustrating.
Hi All,

New member here. This exactly matches the symptoms on our 2016 limited 4x4. Parking sensors are the most annoying part, but we also get the trailer wiring fault and the no key detected errors. I've got multiple videos on my phone of the sensors. Multiple trips to the dealer, but they are useless, they check for codes and TSBs and then dont know what to do. Has anyone solved this? Other than this strange electrical stuff, we love the expedition!

Thanks,

Daryl

Linksvu

Reaction score
Any updates here? We have a brush guard on the front and would love to shut them off completely.

Linksvu

Reaction score
I found a solution, or at least one that has worked for me. I found these: https://www.amazon.com/Ranch-Hand-USCBP-Sensor-Cover/dp/B01N543CIO

They work. Since I put them on, the front sensors have not gone off and these is no warning signal. Not sure what exactly they do, but it is a great solution for me. True, they are not the best looking since they just stick on top of the sensor, but for my setup with a front grill causing the front sensors to go off all the time, this has been a solid option for me.

Plati

Reaction score
I found a solution, or at least one that has worked for me. I found these: https://www.amazon.com/Ranch-Hand-USCBP-Sensor-Cover/dp/B01N543CIO

They work. Since I put them on, the front sensors have not gone off and these is no warning signal. Not sure what exactly they do, but it is a great solution for me. True, they are not the best looking since they just stick on top of the sensor, but for my setup with a front grill causing the front sensors to go off all the time, this has been a solid option for me.
I believe those sensors are ultrasonic sensors. They send a chirp out (sound waves) and listen for a reflected sound back. They use the time difference to calculate distance away. Looks like these pads absorb the outgoing chirp so nothing reflects back. Probably could home brew the same thing if desired.

The old Polaroid cameras used this technology for autofocus.
https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/autofocus2.htm

donsmrs

Reaction score
Just bought a 2014 Limited a month ago and this week, its sensor is screeching. If there is a separate fuse for that, (probably too much to hope for), I'd be happy to pull it.

Plati

Reaction score
Just bought a 2014 Limited a month ago and this week, its sensor is screeching. If there is a separate fuse for that, (probably too much to hope for), I'd be happy to pull it.
Can you just find the connector and disconnect it?
Worth a try, might create an issue but you would know right away

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cfarnAK