PATS advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RevHeat

Reaction score
I have an 2000 that currently has 294,500 miles on it. It still runs perfect, only when I can get it started. I cannot start it due to the PATS system malfunctioning. When I try to start it, the Alarm light flashes.

What options do I have? At this point in time, I am trying to get it to last another 10k miles, but do not want to put a lot of money into it. Is the dealer the only that can fix this issue?

Thanks,

Rev

Snapshot

Reaction score
Are you using the factory keys for the vehicle? Does any of the keys have a crack in them? Or do you have any kind of remote start installed in it?

OP
OP
RevHeat

RevHeat

Reaction score
Are you using the factory keys for the vehicle? Does any of the keys have a crack in them? Or do you have any kind of remote start installed in it?

I am using factory keys and neither one is cracked. No remote start installed and have never made any modifications or added another alarm system.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I believe your best option to get the pats fixed is unfortunately the dealer.

You can turn off the pats as well as the cel trigger it would set via a custom tune. I personally have done this but had the tuner already as well as the ability to tune it. But in your situations this would likely be a more expensive solution than the dealer to repair pats so whats the point?

B

bedrck46

You could also take it to a locksmith that does automotive systems and have him program new keys You can also buy uncut keys on e-bay and have them cut then programed. One thing that could cause a problem is if the transmitter that is located around the Ign is cracked or damaged

Last edited by a moderator:

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A woman I work with had this problem with her '00 or '01 Expy. It turned out to be her key. I'd go that route first. Do you have both keys? Does one work better than the other? If so, then it may be the key(s).

B

bedrck46

The following was copied from the service manual

1) No communication with the module — instrument cluster

CJB Fuses:
Fuse 2 (5A).
Fuse 6 (5A).
Fuse 30 (30A).
Circuitry.
Instrument Cluster.

GO to Pinpoint Test A .

2) The anti-theft indicator is never on — no three second theft indicator prove out

Instrument cluster.
Theft indicator.

GO to Pinpoint Test B .

3)The vehicle does not start — theft indicator proves out for three seconds as normal
Less than two keys programmed to the system.

Transceiver not connected/defective.
Circuitry.
Transceiver internal antenna damaged.
Non-PATS key, damaged key or no code received.
Partial key read of PATS key.
Unprogrammed PATS key.

CARRY OUT the instrument cluster On-Demand Self-Test. RETRIEVE DTCs. If DTCs are present, GO to Instrument Cluster Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index. If no DTCs are retrieved, CHECK for other possible no-start causes.

No powertrain control module (PCM) ID stored in PATS.
PATS/PCM ID do not match.
Problem with Standard Corporate Protocol (SCP) communication network.

CLEAR the stored DTCs. CYCLE the ignition key from OFF to RUN. RETRIEVE continuous DTCs. If DTCs are present, GO to Instrument Cluster Diagnostics Trouble Code (DTC) Index. If no DTCs are retrieved, CHECK for other possible causes.

4)The anti-theft system does not operate correctly — the vehicle starts but flashes a fault code on theft indicator at key ON

Incorrect PCM calibration

GO to Pinpoint Test K .

OP
OP
RevHeat

RevHeat

Reaction score
If it is the key, would the Alarm indicator continue to flash (even with key not in the ignition) until it accepts the key? I ask because both my keys are in good shape.

B

bedrck46

the system will flash at a slow rate when no key is in the Ign. If it flashes at a rapid rate when you try to start then there is a problem. There is a transmitter that is around the lock cylinder that could be cracked and that would cause a problem also the chip in the instrument cluster could be bad or the PCM isn't get the correct information