PATS issue, no start, no crank.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Damon329

Reaction score
My 07 did the same thing after i removed every wire individually from the cluster pin plug. I was having an issue where the chime was intermittent when wiggling the connector to the cluster. When I removed each wire one at a time I opened up the prongs very carefully the reinstalled each one when I was finished. Unfortunately I reinstalled 1 of them into the wrong location on the plug. It gave me the pats warning. It was the transponder wire that I put into a blank spot by accident. That connector behind the cluster is prone to lose connection if there has been any movement to the cluster assy. If you remove each pin, make sure you take a picture of each wire location for future reference. A faulty connection will give you your exact symptom. The cluster is a module. A bad connection will give you many issues. Also my fuel gauge was always reading differently every time I started the vehicle. If I slammed my hand on top of the dash it would sometimes make the fuel needle re-adjust. All this was resolved after I opeded each wire end in that connection plug. There is a way to remove each wire individually from the connector. Be very careful not to break anything.

David Kuchler

Reaction score
Did you ever, find the source of your problem?
1. pushing shift lever firmly to park position. seeing as how it would start in neutral, this is a possibility
2. battery connection, with no lights coming on, on the dash, would seem possible, its a dirty battery connection, or loose
I personally would guess its the shifter, not activating the switch to show its in park, but that doesn't explain no lights on dash, which would lean more to battery connection

OP
OP
Thunderbirdsport

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I say no lights in the cluster, it's the warning lights that come on when the key is on but engine is off. Normally these would be on that instance but due to the condition, they don't come on.
Indeed, the battery connections were the first thing I checked, all are good, even the battery is newer...just a couple of years old.

I pulled the cluster out last night after work, wiggled the connector, unhooked it, wiggled the wires, put it all back in, still no a no start.

I had it Ford a week ago, the one time it did start since all this started happening, I should've left it there until it did the no start again and let them mess with it more.

I'm about 5 miles from them, thinking about having it towed (rather, rollback truck) back to them to see if they can find it.

Bryson A Martin

Reaction score
Mine recently did the no start bs while I was attempting to leave a bar. Yeah just my luck lol, but I had it towed home. Luckily I have a homeboy who does that for a living who lives near me so no charge. Anyways my terminals were so corroded that it couldn't get the connectors to generate the power to start it. I spent about 70 bucks at autozone for new terminal connectors, wire, butt connectors, and a heavy duty wire cutter. Had it all replaced and back up to beating down the block in about 2 hours. Took forever because of how much wire I had left because of the way best buy installed my sound system. Just a suggestion to check the battery terminals tho. Best of luck man.

BTW I have a 09 eddie bauer expy

OP
OP
Thunderbirdsport

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One thing I'm pretty on top of is the batt terminals and related connections LOL. I almost always put brass terminals on all of my rides too. Probably doesn't gain much, but I've never had a corrosion issue or a no-start to to bad connections after I've put the brass terminals on. I throw 'em on pos and neg posts both....

They've never corroded up and gotten ****** like lead terminals will do. Maybe it's me, maybe it's luck. Just one of those things that I do my way, and it works for me. Just a thought... ;)

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine recently did the no start bs while I was attempting to leave a bar. Yeah just my luck lol, but I had it towed home. Luckily I have a homeboy who does that for a living who lives near me so no charge. Anyways my terminals were so corroded that it couldn't get the connectors to generate the power to start it. I spent about 70 bucks at autozone for new terminal connectors, wire, butt connectors, and a heavy duty wire cutter. Had it all replaced and back up to beating down the block in about 2 hours. Took forever because of how much wire I had left because of the way best buy installed my sound system. Just a suggestion to check the battery terminals tho. Best of luck man.

BTW I have a 09 eddie bauer expy
What??

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So it's fixed. It turned out to be the fuse connector in the SJB. The tech said if it starts doing it again, the SJB will need to be replaced...

I'm just happy it's mobile again.
Trying to figure out what the SJB connector is that fixed your problem. Was it the cluster connector or power supply?

OP
OP
Thunderbirdsport

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No clue. The quote of mine that you replied to was exactly how it was worded on the ticket, and what the tech told me when I picked it up after work LOL.

Honestly, I couldn't even tell ya where the SJB is on these damned things, so...