PCM Failure, now Display Screen Dead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shane Goddard

Reaction score
Last month the Expedition literally died while driving down the road. Thank God I was close to a parking lot and coasted into it to try to start it again. As I pushed the start button, it just kept turning over without firing. I tried several more times over about 10 minutes and it finally started up, but ran really rough. I made it home and called roadside service to take it to the dealership.

The dealership put a new PCM in it and I had it back 3 days later, however I've lost my confidence in it now.

This past Saturday as I start it up I noticed the screen didn't come on. I put it in reverse and nothing, just black. I started researching the issue and I found where some people have been able to reset the display by holding the power button and skip at the same time but that didn't work for me. I also tried different variations as well as disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes.

I give it a couple of days to see if it just happens to come back to life but it never did so I called the dealership again. They said it's a common issue and it probably just needs to be reprogramed, but if that doesn't work they will have to replace the unit.

My concern is that it's almost out of warranty (33,800 miles on it right now) and had 2 pretty big ticket electrical problems in the last 30 days.

Has anyone else experiences these issues or is it just mine?

Thanks in advance!

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't had either of those issues, but if I were you and you plan on keeping it, I would get a factory extended warranty asap. Those two items combined would probably be $3-4K out of warranty, nearly twice that of a warranty. I too have little faith, if it weren't for my extended warranty, I'm not sure I'd have mine at this point. I'm about 15k miles and already have probably $7-8k in repairs and still waiting for a $2k dash replacement and likely $2-4K in turbos if Ford ever approves it.

Oh, and also, before you leave the dealership next time, do your best to check all of the systems before you leave.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford warranty do some digging here there was a dealer with the price schedules and packages online and $1000’s cheaper than the ripoff finance Managers office. I simply filled out the forms, paid by credit card and had my Real Ford warranty setup. Not something worth paying a middle man $2000 to do. Took like 5 minutes to setup

OP
OP
S

Shane Goddard

Reaction score
Ford warranty do some digging here there was a dealer with the price schedules and packages online and $1000’s cheaper than the ripoff finance Managers office. I simply filled out the forms, paid by credit card and had my Real Ford warranty setup. Not something worth paying a middle man $2000 to do. Took like 5 minutes to setup

I remember getting something in the mail about the Ford warranty and setting it aside. I'll have to look for that.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I remember getting something in the mail about the Ford warranty and setting it aside. I'll have to look for that.
It's likely fake (or at best a crappy 3rd party), I get probably 5 of those a month. Go to flood ford directly, they usually have the best price.

mpc11

Reaction score
It's likely fake (or at best a crappy 3rd party), I get probably 5 of those a month. Go to flood ford directly, they usually have the best price.

Also check Ziegler Ford. They ended up being cheaper for me (a few others too as noted in a different thread) as they were offering a $250 pay in full discount. If you request a quote from them, they will email it to you and the discount code shows as a line item at the bottom.

mpc11

Reaction score
Thanks! I just checked with Flood Ford, I'll be checking Ziegler now.

Sorry, Autocorrect changed it. It’s E then I as in Zeigler Ford. From my email: Promotional Code: PAYINFULL Discount: -$250.00

osteodoc08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As far as the screen. There is a reset procedure where you hold the forward seek button and power button down (I think, you’ll have to look it up) and it soft resets it. I’ve had that issue from time to time with mine. My 2019 Fusion Hybrid does this as well from time to time. Seems to be worse in cold weather.