pcm replaced now hydrolocked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fattywaters

Reaction score
I had a local shop replace my pcm and now my engine is hydrolocked. It had fuel in all cylinders, making me think that it was a problem with the new pcm, but I'm not sure if there is a function in ford IDS that can command the injectors on and make it do this as well... any help would be greatly appreciated. I want my expy running again, I just need to know who to have pay for my replacement engine I'm going to need now...

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pull the plugs, rotate the engine slowly to pump the gas out and scope the cylinders for damage. Then make a decision on what to do.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did they just replace the pcm? From what I remember, the pcm is tied into the PATS. Unless the system has been reprogrammed with the correct key you'll have a no start condition (no spark). Check how fast the theft light is blinking and if you want check for spark.

OP
OP
F

fattywaters

Reaction score
the new keys have been programmed, the engine injectors got stuck in the on position either by the pcm or with fords IDS software, I just dont know which one it was that got them to stick on long enough to hydrolock my motor. and the pats function will disable the fuel pump and injectors on this model, everything else will work

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look at it logically, it takes three things for an engine to run:

fuel/air (check fuel pressure & listen to the injectors with a scope)
compression (do a compression check on a few cylinders)
spark (pull a plug or use an inductive timing light on a wire to check)

One of them is missing or out of time

Another way to check for lack of fuel is starter fluid. If you go that route use it sparingly. Can have a major bang if you use to much and it backfires.

What are the chances all 8 cylinders have 0 psi on your engine?
What happened to require the pcm to be changed?

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Remember if your trying to crank the enging with a weak battery things won't work right

OP
OP
F

fattywaters

Reaction score
after changing out the spark plugs again and reluctantly letting it air out for a few hours and recharging both batteries... she fired up with a lot of smoke from the exhaust because of the fuel dumped into the exhaust system... now to get it running right and hope the rest of the fuel evaporates out of the exhaust without catching it on fire... lol and yes I am just letting it run for a couple of seconds and then letting it cool down and trying to evaporate it that way.

and I am running 2 batteries for the simple fact of more is better...lol

Crash!

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't forget to change the oil. It is possible the oil is contaminated with fuel. Keep us posted! If you were just starting it up, you should have no damage. If you were under load, you could have run into real problems.

Let us know if you have anymore issues. This has happened to my car, while my girlfriend was driving, and she hit a flooded area on the road. It immediately locked, but did not cause any damage. I did the same thing you did, and it took care of the problem.