performance pn a budget

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
brand new 4.6 engine for a 99 expedition, bored .020 over. what are my options do get some budget horsepower out of this thing? now let me be clear, where-as I do want the E3 plugs, filter, GOTTS mod, information, that's very low budget stuff, I also want true car guy budget horsepower/torque ideas internal engine external engine, intake exhaust, computer, etc etc car guys you get my point, hook me up so I can put together my parts and shopping list.

so far im thinking headers with true dual 2.5 or 3 in exhaust, heads maybe?, can I change the timing? I need all the ideas you can muster but keep in mind this is budget...maybe 2k-3k spent overall on engine and proper trans shift kit to handle the torque.

maybe an axel swap later as it will be lifted on 35's

thank you everyone so much, I have gained so much knowledge and am having a lot of fun here.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
remove rear two cats... cut factory y and run true duals.... and no need for a axle swap I'm running 37s with no problems... and finally get a programmer.. I love my edge cs... but for a few bucks more order one with custom tunes set up for your engine

OP
OP
D

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks Walnuts, I am for sure going to get a custom tuner, but that will come towad the end of my mods, so the tuner will take full advantage of the rest of the mods that are going in.

as for the true duals, I'de like to put Headers on, then run cat.-less with dual mufflers (I don't yet know what kind) We all know the choices, Flowmaster, Gibson, Thrush, Borla, Magnaflow, and the list goes on. and have it run in such a way that will give me the least amount of problems while off-road. (I'm thinking over the axel, and strait out the back. but who knows, I may get silly and cut two holes in the bumper and run it through there.

I am really amazed that the stock axels have survived that kind of torture. What kind of axels came in the 99 4.6 4x4? (mine are 5 lug) 5x135

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my exhaust exits behind pass rear tire... both tips... hasn't been a problem offroading but now it hits my hitch so gonna re-do exhaust in the spring and do a X pipe and straight pipe and a 4" tip behind each tire

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have a problem with the axle hitting my piping. theres a nice little dent in my exhaust tubing. haha im going to cut my exhaust right before the axle and let it go out. then make a drop down. depends on if i like it b4.