Persistent #8 misfire, 01 Navigator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last December I picked up a 01 Navigator from Arizona. For me it was quite a find (even with its issues) living in northern NY where vehicles rust very quickly. I just washed it off and parked it for the winter. With spring and warmer weather hopefully arriving here one of these days, I am thinking about getting to work on this 01 soon. Of course I am looking for the excellent advice that I always receive here! The person I got it from got hit with a pretty hefty repair bill from the dealer and it still did not fix it. I’m sure they gave her a horror story (they told her it needed a new motor) and sold her a different vehicle. Maybe their diagnosis is accurate, but I always question info from a dealership repair shop as they are in the business to sell vehicles. I got some service records with this vehicle so I will post the history that I know:

6/18/18. Passed Arizona inspection: 111,785 miles (a guy in the military owned it and that is how it made it up here)

6/29/18. Davidson Auto Group
Front end alignment, repaired chafed wire on starter solenoid: 113,205 miles

8/2/18. Davidson Auto Group
new owner said engine light was on steady since she purchased vehicle but never flashed.
Mileage: 114,000
Complaints: low idle, stalls, shudders between 40-50 MPH during acceleration.
TESTS:
Power balance-dead skip on 5,7,8
Injectors tested OK
Ignition system test-coil fail on 5,7,8
Repairs: replaced coils and plugs on bank 2 (5,6,7,8), noted #8 spark plug had burnt electrodes.
Test drove - #8 still had dead skip
“Due to cylinder being washed down from lack of spark which resulted in low compression. Need to remove cylinder head from bank 2 to inspect engine.”

One of my friends who has his own shop told me to check the cats. So it makes me wonder if the vehicle has been driven with the misfires, could it have damaged the cats? Also-I put my scanner on it when I got it and it is showing misfire on 8 and now 3, lean bank 1 and lean bank 2. The guys that delivered it to me said when they let off the throttle, the engine skip stops and the SES light goes off.

Thoughts??!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk