Picking your brain on rust in Frame!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expaddiction

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had the truck on a lift over the weekend and seen some rust that I am not to happy about on the frame. Has anyone had to deal with this problem before? If so, is there anything that can be done to fix it? Have ask my brother who is a mechanic and he said that the rust can not be fixed. He says because the ford frame is tempered steel it cannot be welded because it will crack. He says to ask dealer for my money back on the vehicle. If this is a fixable issue, I would like to be able to fix it since the rest of the truck is in such great condition. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• rust1.jpg
    rust1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,934
OP
OP
E

Expaddiction

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I"m getting mad the more I think about this. I will be going to the dealer I bought it from tomorrow to see what can be done or ask for a refund. I missed this when I looked it over and am kicking myself. Don't know how this will come out but I have to try. I love this truck and should've known it was to good to be true. :bawl:

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most likely you are stuck with the vehicle. Unless there was a clause in the purchase agreement that allowed for you to return with-in a documented period of time. Their reasoning would be that you should of looked it over better than you did in this situation. I do not know about your lemon laws and if it pertains to used vehicles. But I would think that if this was a reputable dealer, they would honor a return based on the safety aspect of where the rust is and how deteriated the frame is. But if this was a buy here pay here type of place, you probably have no ground to stand on. You need to read your purchase agreement, and I mean all of it, especially the fine print.

Good luck with it.

And by the way, frames can be repaired by either sectioned with another or plated.

Last edited:

TexasAngel34

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was told you can plate it... from a mechanic of 20+ yrs... just my 2 cents, see what the dealer can do otherwise if u cant figure it out... good luck.

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
dealer should give your money back...the truck is unsafe with the frame rotted....look into your state licensing laws for dealers...he may say he didnt see it either dont make it right....but if he bought it from an auction he may have recourse with the auction house if they sold it as a "green light vehicle" with no announcements....which means the auction house would make the previous seller have to buy it back..if the truck was sold as-is..or frame damage...then you got your dealer on the hook....your best bet would be to spend 30 bucks and get a car fax report on it...

OP
OP
E

Expaddiction

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies,I'm going nuts! I paid the cash for it and don't really look for the dealer to just say yeah sure here's your money back. BUT they ARE required by law to disclose info on things like this. While there doesn't seem to be a used car lemon law there is other ways I might be able to go about this. I've been looking round the net since I got home and might have a leg to stand on. I will be looking to get it fixed if all else fails,but what's it worth then....junk? This sucks! Screw it I'm going to bed, nite everyone.

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I hope the best for you and you are able to take it back. That is a crappy situation.

OP
OP
E

Expaddiction

Full Access Members
Reaction score
dealer should give your money back...the truck is unsafe with the frame rotted....look into your state licensing laws for dealers...he may say he didnt see it either dont make it right....but if he bought it from an auction he may have recourse with the auction house if they sold it as a "green light vehicle" with no announcements....which means the auction house would make the previous seller have to buy it back..if the truck was sold as-is..or frame damage...then you got your dealer on the hook....your best bet would be to spend 30 bucks and get a car fax report on it...

The dealer provided the carfax report on it is the funny thing and it shows nothing wrong with anything. That carfax was a big selling point for me. The vehicle was a trade-in is what the dealer told me. He said the guy traded it for a Mercedes. I'm gonna see what happens tomorrow and will post the result. Good luck me!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65