Pissed over new aluminum wheels in winter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got these for my winter setup. New OEM Ford aluminum wheels (22”) with Blizzaks.

One month, and one snowfall later, this is how they look.

Who designs and manufacturers such prima-donna wheels?

I’m assuming the spotting is from salt. First off, I thought aluminum is non corrosive. Second, why design wheels for a truck that don’t maintain their appearance after a single month in winter?

I’ve had aluminum wheels in our Acura and Volvo and they never stained like this after years of winter use.

WTF is going on here?

Sorry fellas, just venting. I can buff out the spots with aluminum polish but who has the hours to spend on this?

0-AEB89-E7-4821-4399-BA3-D-7856-ED35-C9-EA.jpg

Matthew Abrams

Reaction score
That doesn't seem right to me. I have 22's on our Limited and have had moderate exposure to Salt and snow this season with no issues to the finish. Any possibility that the clear coat was bad on that set you bought?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got these for my winter setup. New OEM Ford aluminum wheels (22”) with Blizzaks.

I’m assuming the spotting is from salt. First off, I thought aluminum is non corrosive. Second, why design wheels for a truck that don’t maintain their appearance after a single month in winter?

I’ve had aluminum wheels in our Acura and Volvo and they never stained like this after years of winter use.

WTF is going on here?

Sorry fellas, just venting. I can buff out the spots with aluminum polish but who has the hours to spend on this?

Hard to tell from photograph - but if the spotting that is shown is corrosion, and not simply salt that must be washed off, I would contact the Ford business that you bought the wheels from and invoke their warranty coverage for new parts.

Aerogt01

Reaction score
If you use metal polish on these - Does your cloth turn black? That would mean the wheels are not clearcoated as they should be.

OP
OP
N

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That doesn't seem right to me. I have 22's on our Limited and have had moderate exposure to Salt and snow this season with no issues to the finish. Any possibility that the clear coat was bad on that set you bought?

I mean, I don't think these aluminum wheels have a clearcoat. It's just polished aluminum the way I see it. Clearcoat would show swirl marks after hard scrubbing. These wheels don't.

I even tried magic eraser (super fine sandpaper) to no avail. The spots just won't come off. Granted, I didn't wash the truck after driving on salt-covered roads, so this has been sitting on the wheels for about a month, but still.

I might take it to a detail shop, have them polish them all out, and then apply some sort of coating.

Just not cool. I never had to babysit wheels aside from cleaning the brake dust off them. Real pity.

Aerogt01

Reaction score
I've only ever heard of aftermarket wheels not having clearcoat, and maybe a few "high polish" wheels. This is definitely not the norm.

Shutterbug57

Full Access Members
Reaction score

WTF is going on here?

Aluminum absolutely corrodes. It won’t rust, but it will corrode. OEM wheels are clear coated. If you have washed these wheels, it is likely they have a manufacturing defect. Are all 4 like this or just this one?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I mean, I don't think these aluminum wheels have a clearcoat. It's just polished aluminum the way I see it. Clearcoat would show swirl marks after hard scrubbing. These wheels don't.

I even tried magic eraser (super fine sandpaper) to no avail. The spots just won't come off. Granted, I didn't wash the truck after driving on salt-covered roads, so this has been sitting on the wheels for about a month, but still.

I might take it to a detail shop, have them polish them all out, and then apply some sort of coating.

Just not cool. I never had to babysit wheels aside from cleaning the brake dust off them. Real pity.

Are they genuine Ford wheels?