Planning a 5 inch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTC B4Z

Reaction score
from Trail Master... it says the largest tire I can clear is a 315/75/16.... I already have 285/75/16's... thats not really a bigger tire...

any thoughts?

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I think that the "max tire size" rating is always a bit conservative. They just don't want a million calls saying that "my tires don't fit".

I'm pretty sure that if I removed the body lift, my 35s would fit with just the Rancho 4" lift.

You can always do a little trimming, crank up the torsion bars or use coil spacers if you need that little extra space.

How much room do you currently have between the body and tires when the truck is loaded down?

OP
OP
C

CTC B4Z

Reaction score
Alot..... I also have a stock 1 inch body lift it looks like...

2-18sled003.jpg

trucks rarely loaded btw

another thing, this kit comes with brake lines... do I have to worry about half shafts and what not, or will they be fine??? I have never lifted a vehicle and have no idea what is involved....

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
Man, I just went in to the local shop in town and they quoted me $3000cdn for a trail master 5 inch lift installed. Yikes.... What have you heard?

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Back when I was looking to pick up a stock expy and do the lift myself, I did a ton of research. It was a toss up between the Fab-Tech or the RCD (race car designs). Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the Rancho kit that came with the truck, but it wouldn't have been my first choice.

If you are reasonably handy and have access to decent tools, you can install most of these suspension kits in a weekend, (assuming that you can talk a friend in to helping you) It can save you $800 - $1000 in labor at the 4x4 shop.

OP
OP
C

CTC B4Z

Reaction score
I'm a diesel mechanic, so I can do anything:cool:

the kit here is about $1700, of course I would do it myself.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 285/75/16 as well on my stock 2000 XLT 4x4.
The 4x4s do come with the stock 1" body lift, too, from what I understand.

FYI, 285/75/16 = 33" and 315/75/16 = 35" APPROXIMATELY
So, it is a decently taller/wider tire.

Once you are looking at 35"s and up, you might be wanting to regear the differentials, too. Just another thing to consider.

What the lift is going to help you with the most (I believe) is articulation. Then, approach/departure angles, then ground clearance, and finally fitting bigger tires.

Just my two cents. Hope it helps.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my 2cents..... i've always used fabtech for the true 6" lift in my EXPY and my 97 f150(gone but not forgotten) and held up awesome n great ride for being lifted...

OP
OP
C

CTC B4Z

Reaction score
Did any of you guys have to extend any brake lines or wiring harness's????

the TM kit says it comes with brake lines, but no other kit does... I dont want to buy a kit and have to go through hell piece other stuff together