Plasti-Dip questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bar422

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am looking at using the Plasti-Dip on the rocker panels on my 01 Expedition and I was wondering if anyone has done this? By what I have read on other posts it looks like you can use it just about anywhere and just peel off what you don't want (like any overspray). Any input on this would be great...... Thanks!

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are a couple that have but dont think they are actively on the site...one member JTkustoms has recently did his ENTIRE TRUCK...all white everything...rims too and said it took 5 gals to do the truck

OP
OP
B

bar422

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn't figure it would be too tough to do and then just rub off any overspray.......just wanted to check before doing it. Anymore input would be great!

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It would work fine, but it will take a beating being in the line of fire from the front tires. I have plasti dip on both bumpers, door trim, and rims. It has held up pretty good so far.

OP
OP
B

bar422

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was wondering how well it would hold up.......if I did it now I would probably be doing it again in the spring.......winters can be rough. You would think road salt and the like would stick to the plastic (or just fall off). I imagine other areas would hold up a lot better. Thanks for the responses and I will take anymore input on it.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I live in road salt heaven (hell if you are a vehicle...) and it does stick. You can power wash this stuff though, I just wash it once a week in the winter. I have not had the bumpers dipped through a winter yet, so we shall see. The salt does stick to the rims though. I have had those done for just about 2 years I think now.

OP
OP
B

bar422

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see your in MN.....I'm in Iowa so I know what you're talking about as far as the stuff they put on the roads in the winter! How long does the Plasti-Dip it take to dry? I may do it this weekend.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Eh it dries pretty quick. Whenever I dip something on the truck, I try and let it sit overnight so it sets properly, but when I did the mirror caps and door trim (same day) I know I drove it some a couple hours after application and it seemed fine.

EXPI2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did all my tan trim and rims on mine. When I did my rims I drove about an hour after I finished and no problems. Only problem areas I've had are the running boards because my kids climb in and out with their cleats on and that tears it up over time. Other than that its held up quite well over time.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376086542034.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376086542034.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 2,330
  • uploadfromtaptalk1376086551843.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376086551843.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 3,946

bertro

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You guys inspired me! I wanna cover the tan trim too and maybe do the rims as well. How many cans did you use? Did you spray any clear coat on top?