please help - quick - alternator 2003 XLT, 5.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OneLong4x4

Reaction score
My Exp is having alternator problems. Battery is brand new.

How many amps was my original?

I think I have heard 100A & 130A were standard. What's the application to ask for to get the higher output alternator? Year, make, model?

I assume the Navigators came with higher output?

I'm adding some audio to the truck, too. Approx 200W sub, and 240W for four channel amp to speakers.

If I choose to have a good alternator shop rebuild it, what kind of output would I need to power the vehicle and the audio. XLT, power windows & locks, factory fog lights, thats it.

Please help quick! Want to get this project going (or done!) yet today.

Thanks a ton!

C.J.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why not just buy a 220A alternator new and be done with it? You are correct in assuming that your stock one is around 130A. I think all alternators are going to list their output on the box they come in. Talk to an audio shop, I can guarantee they would have something like that with a direct plug into the Ford system.

Of course if you were going to have someone rebuild the original one and therefore can afford to have the truck sit a few days, I would order the high amp alt on the Internet.

220A High Output Alternator for Ford Expedition, 2003 - 2004 5.4L V8 (330c.i.) - 8303-220-HD29-1 | PowerBastards.com

Copper93

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You will never go wrong with getting the biggest alternator you can find. It won't overcharge your battery. You can also check about doing a dual battery set up, especially if you are going big on your audio system.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With ur system u don't have to upgrade and can do something else...but it won't hurt and you'll be ready for future upgrades

Holy Rollerz Christian Car Club (HRC3)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chris420