Pontoon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nate03

Reaction score
Hey All, I take my boat down to lakes that are around 300 + miles one way trips with the Expedition and it handles it well. I am considering getting a pontoon instead for more room, but a friend told me that pontoons pull REALLY hard because of the wind resistance. He said he pulled one with his Excursion and it was all it could handle. I think he was pulling a really big pontoon, but nonetheless, I am looking at 22' to 23' tritoons that could weigh upwards of 6000 lbs or more when on trailer and loaded. Anyone pulling something like that and is that asking for trouble? Have the short wheel base 17 Expy XLT.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You won't have any issues. Large pontoons/tritoons have been around longer than Excursions. 99% of the time is a half-ton pickup towing them, and the Expedition is just as capable as they are.

Moreso than a fiberglass boat, with all their weight on the rear (engine and fuel tank), I'd think to key to towing a pontoon is to get some weight onto the trailer tongue. 6K behind an Expedition wouldn't be a concern to me.

No firsthand experience towing a pontoon though, but think you are good to go.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you drop the tops and reduce the frontal area above the vehicle it will pull just like any other trailer.

crector080862

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Expedition Eddie Bauer that has the 5.4 l in it and I pull my 26 foot pontoon boat with a 115 horsepower motor on it all over the place the only problem is the mirrors but I'm going to order some replacement towing mirrors anyway it pulls great I didn't have a hard time stopping the boat trailer has surge brakes on it so I have had no issues at all

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

RenegadeBad_Dog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey All, I take my boat down to lakes that are around 300 + miles one way trips with the Expedition and it handles it well. I am considering getting a pontoon instead for more room, but a friend told me that pontoons pull REALLY hard because of the wind resistance. He said he pulled one with his Excursion and it was all it could handle. I think he was pulling a really big pontoon, but nonetheless, I am looking at 22' to 23' tritoons that could weigh upwards of 6000 lbs or more when on trailer and loaded. Anyone pulling something like that and is that asking for trouble? Have the short wheel base 17 Expy XLT.

My uncle used to tow his pontoon with his 2000 Chevy Silverado single cab he had a v6 and it did pretty well. Although never traveled farther than 25 miles.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk