Poor Gas Mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I purchased a 13 Limited about a month ago with 97k on the clock. In the few short weeks that I've owned Betty she's been draining the wallet at the pump. She's worse than an alcoholic at a party serving free liquor. Engine is running smooth no hesitations. I've reset to the fuel economy settings to try and get a feel of gas mileage, which is reading anywhere from 8 to 9 mpg in city(Mostly) some stop and go traffic. I have had two other Expeditions before and I know they suck some gas, but not like this. Burning mostly premium gas. what can I do, where to start to combat the evil witch's drinking problem.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Here in Virginia Premium gasoline is 60¢ more a gallon and is, of course, a waste of money for an Expedition with the 5.4 V8 which runs just fine on 87 octane.

Got Overdrive turned off or tow-haul turned on for some reason? That won't help. Check pages 215 (or thereabouts) in the owners manual.

-- Chuck

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try running a 30 to 50 miles highway loop and see what mpg you get. Check tire inflation and air filter first. If you have a Bluetooth OBD scanner you can also use an app like torque to view stats like stochiometric mix, EGT, etc in real time.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That certainly doesn't sound right unless you were awful heavy on the gas pedal and doing real hard takeoffs.

John Kohler

Reaction score
There's no benefit to using premium gas in a naturally aspirated engine without high compression. Shell claims their premium has enough additives to "clean" the engine, so tank of that occasionally might be beneficial (like dropping a bottle of fuel system cleaner in).

Blksmk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stop looking at the on board computer display. Then start driving it like a heavy tank. Nice and slow, my 07 get 22 to 24mpg highway, city I never checked. As I rarely drive in any cities or towns

Powerplay

Reaction score
I’m having same poor fuel economy with my 12 Expy EL with 106k. Noticed fuel economy start dropping from 19-20 to 12 mpg with a mix of city and hwy. Truck runs and shifts great. Using 87 octane, empty cargo with fresh synthetic. Going strictly by on board readings, drove 22 miles on hwy and 10 on city. MPG still at 12. Acceleration was easy on the throttle. Even using winter blend fuel the mpg didn’t make a difference, would think the economy would decrease.

Any ideas how to start checking condition? Would cold air intake help? I’ve been advised by a few Expy owners cold air intake didn’t increase their mpg.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Plati

Reaction score
I’m having same poor fuel economy with my 12 Expy EL with 106k. Noticed fuel economy start dropping from 19-20 to 12 mpg with a mix of city and hwy. Truck runs and shifts great. Using 87 octane, empty cargo with fresh synthetic. Going strictly by on board readings, drove 22 miles on hwy and 10 on city. MPG still at 12. Acceleration was easy on the throttle. Even using winter blend fuel the mpg didn’t make a difference, would think the economy would decrease.

Any ideas how to start checking condition? Would cold air intake help? I’ve been advised by a few Expy owners cold air intake didn’t increase their mpg.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Of course I'm not saying you weren't getting 19-20 MPG "before", since I'm not you and not there BUT I find it very difficult to believe any 2012 Expy EL would get 19-20 MPG under any conditions other than a tailwind or downhill. I get a bit less than 18MPG (best) on my 2014 when I'm cruising level ground on the interstate going 65. 5.4L

Hope its OK to say this. Not being a ******.

Blksmk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its colder so youre running the engine longer burning more fuel. I'm getting 21 to 22.5 mpg at -30c on the highway.

Hoffy90

Reaction score
I picked up a 2013 EL wtih 136k a few weeks ago and getting around 12.8 mostly city driving. So far just a K&N drop in air filter. Maybe try air filter, spark plugs and MAF sensor cleaner?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk