Poor headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My 2012 puts out half the light of my '03 (seriously like turning on a second sun!). I've seen a ton of postings about poor headlights, but haven't seen much in terms of aftermarket projector replacement housings. Anyone tried Spyder, Anzo, et al?

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
My 2012 puts out half the light of my '03 (seriously like turning on a second sun!). I've seen a ton of postings about poor headlights, but haven't seen much in terms of aftermarket projector replacement housings. Anyone tried Spyder, Anzo, et al?
Poor quality aftermarket housing still stink. Add hids and they'll be better but not by much.

If your serious about better lighting look into a retrofit.
Theretrofitsource.com
Lightwerkz.net

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok I'm going to play dumb here, I thought all cars and trucks after say 2008 had high intensity lights. Our 2008 Lincoln Town car had em. They were great, especially the high beam. Are the lights just weak, or maybe you have something going on with your wiring/ grounds. How bright are you looking for? Off roaders use super bright beams or bulbs, but that makes sense. A standard road vehicle shouldn't need anything like landing lights on a 747. Are the factory bulbs that weak?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Ok I'm going to play dumb here, I thought all cars and trucks after say 2008 had high intensity lights. Our 2008 Lincoln Town car had em. They were great, especially the high beam. Are the lights just weak, or maybe you have something going on with your wiring/ grounds. How bright are you looking for? Off roaders use super bright beams or bulbs, but that makes sense. A standard road vehicle shouldn't need anything like landing lights on a 747. Are the factory bulbs that weak?

Stock is a halogen bulb in a reflector so yeah they stink. Thats why I did a projector retrofit with hids.

20170601_214658.jpg

20151101_145559.jpg

20151101_145308.jpg

20151101_140525.jpg

OP
OP
BoonvilleExpyGuy
Reaction score
The wiring is good, but even with Philips x-tremes, the light is not as focused as with my '03, or my Freestyle. I also have an '11 Outback with projector headlights, and they all seem to cut through the dark better than this Expedition - particularly noticeable in the rain .

I don't want to blind anyone, but these lights are disappointing .

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well obviously you know your next step then.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Retrofit looks great. Do you remember what brand? Any issues with non-DOT lights (tickets)?
These are Morimoto Mini H1 7.0. They can be found at theretrofitsource.com or Lightwerkz.net

I'm From Massachusetts and we have a pretty strict vehicle inspection and I've passed 3 years with the projectors. No tickets, not blinding people. Everyone just assumes its the oem headlights.

08T1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So to play Devils Advocate. I had a 04. The headlights were amazing. Why are my 08 so horrible? Not trying to derail the OP. Just trying to keep this thread alive.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
So to play Devils Advocate. I had a 04. The headlights were amazing. Why are my 08 so horrible? Not trying to derail the OP. Just trying to keep this thread alive.
Could be as simple as a reflector design. 04 was a round reflector and 07-14 was a square/rectangle reflector. Even though the reflector angles are designed to put light in front of you, the wider bucket (07-14)would force more width which is less light directly in front of you.