Popping Noise From Rear A/C Blower '03 Expo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mako825

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like the blend door actuator needs to be replaced. YouTube has lots of how-to videos and the part is less than $20.

WakeZone

Reaction score
I have read that these temp selector actuators and roof / floor selector actuators use a motor impedence monitoring circuit to stop the actuator motor when at the end of travel (full hot/full cold). As the internal plastic gear teeth, bearings and mounts wear, the gear mesh loosens up and the gears will hop before motor impedance levels change enough to signal the motor to stop. The clicking is gear hop. Sometimes temp switch positioning will stop it. I've changed these actuators 3 times. Finally unplugged them in the full cold position for the summer. Hope this helps.

JB1258

Reaction score
The rear a/c blower on my '03 Expo has started to make a popping noise whenever I run the rear a/c. I pulled of the rear tray to get a closer looking and it almost sounds like there is a ball or something that just keeps getting tossed around by the blower. Of course the factory warranty just expired so I'd like to at least give a shot at trying to figure out the problem myself. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks,:shootout:
It is the rear Blend door it controls hot to cold air this is a weak spot on this model it is easy to replace but make sure you get a autolite brand Amazon is the best place to get them I tries one from NAPA and it failed in 2 months there are a lot of videos on UTube on how to change out

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is Motorcraft brand, not Autolite. You are just accustomed to the old relationship. ;)

Transporter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since my latest fix, I haven't had an issue with this in years. Of course my fix isn't so good for up North as rear heat goes away. I removed the plastic part that has broken 3 times and set the blend door to full Cool only as I am in the South (plus when I am up North the front heat and our two 100 pound dogs in the back keep the Expy plenty warm). After 14 years, the heater core died as did the lines to the back (wet rear floor boards), so I have a new heater core and while they were in there I had them put a short loop pipe from the output to the input on the rear heater line path up front so no more rear leaks as all that is disconnected since there is no blend door function anymore anyway.

I do not recommend this for people that get cold easily or live in the great white north or Beyond the Wall.

ChapPcemkr

Reaction score
While you have the panel off you may want to replace the other actuator that almost looks like it is sitting on top of this. That one is the vent actuator or maybe its the temp actuator. Anyway I replaced both on mine and I no longer have the clicking noise for either temp or the vent (ceiling or floor).
Further more, for the front temp, there is a similar actuator next to the radio. Just in case you have similar issue in the front.
Good luck.

Check out these videos

FRD88

Reaction score
I went to the local junk yard a few years ago when mine failed and went through all the Expeditions they had and just pulled the plastic gears inside that strip out. Out of about ten of them I only found a couple that wasn't already stripped. I fixed mine and kept a spare. It is very easy to take the actuators apart and just replace the plastic gears.