popping sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
when i turn my key to on my speakers make a POP. same when i turn the key to off. i took out all the speakers and rewired them today to make sure nothing was grounding out and its all fine. it did this with the JVC deck and now the stock deck. also when the key is out if i press any button on the head unit the speakers make a pop again. any idea what is causing this?

OP
OP
panda24619

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
okay something is turning the radio on. i dont have anything after market on now i dont get it. also at half power the radio turns down and then back up with no bass. any clues?

workman8505

Full Access Members
Reaction score
are you by chance using the stock amp they tend to have problems atleast in my experience they do. sounds like maybe the stock amp is turning on and off? theats part of why i took mine out is it wasn't getting full range to my door speakers only highs.

OP
OP
panda24619

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
no amp. at least i cant find one. its just the "premium" audio. it does seem to be an amp turning on and off. my sub would do it when my old amp wasnt hooked up right.

okay now the hunt. where would the amp be since i cant find one.

workman8505

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if its the premium audio then yea it has the stock amp you just cant see it lol its hard to get to here cheek out my post on the radio relocation i went into detail about where the wires were and how to bypass it with out ripping out tye dash for silverbackexpo the wiring is on the 2nd page its a royal pain to get to if you take out your AC controls you can see the top of it
http://www.expeditionforum.com/showthread.php?t=15398
im not saying you have to bypass it but atleast find a way to test it there should be a blue wire on your aftermarket harness that is the turn on wire for it disconnect it ans see if it still does it but you will have no sound once its disconnected cause the amp wont power on lol... its a start i guess maybe someone else will know a way to test it.

mtondreo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
definitely sounds like the stock amp popping. When I installed my aftermarket deck in the 06, I put a resistor on the amp turn on (blue wire). I actualy was supposed to use two - but one made it quieter. I just never got around to pulling the deck again and putting another one in. I can not remember the resistance I used though. Hope it helps, Mike

OP
OP
panda24619

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
this is with my stock deck! i took the jvc out cause it was doing it with that. i thought it would fix the problem. so i guess i have to rip apart the dash to get to it. GREAT! ill do it this week when i remove all my light switches and wires.

workman8505

Full Access Members
Reaction score
cheek out my last post on radio relocation it can be done with out take dash out just follow where i tracked down all the wires lol PITA but it helped silverback and i was already there lol.just take lose the battery cause the power to the amp stays live. you can do away with the green plug on the aftermarket harness when you do it or just bypass it in the harness that goes to the amp and leave the plug for easy removal like i did. but its up to you if you want to replace it that is a option as well just be ready to take the whole dash out and i mean the whole thing unless you are cutting it up as i was. if you do just cut the harness takes about 30 mins to an hr i would use soider and heat shrink tubing if you have it or at least crimp terminals dont like em but they work really dont like just electrical tape and twisting them but it works to.
there goes my electrical side coming out lol. theres the right way and theres the ok way and the just wrong way lol...... any way best of luck to you man hope it works out for ya. if you take out the AC controls you might be able to cut the wiring harness down close to the amp and have more wire to work with.

OP
OP
panda24619

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i use crimp terminals. but i remove the crappy red/blue cover so i can really crimp the wires and i use heat shrink. works great. use it on all things. speakers and lights. no problems. ill see what i can do. as for the stock amp when i look at it should i just see if all the wires are connected? im gonna take out the stock deck again, PITA! so its just under the ac controls? this is really bugging me. dont wanna take it in just to sell it in a few weeks.

workman8505

Full Access Members
Reaction score
all you can see from the top is the top lol the plugs are on the bottom and really really really hard to get to man. maybe able to get at where the vents are under the dash to wiggle on the plugs they are on the bottom there is one bolt on the top and two on the bottom and with out cutting shit out like i did idk if it is posible to get out with out the whole dash.
if you find a way let me know lol

also take out your front center console pice where the cup holders are and cheeck that big white plug with the bolt through it i have heard of problems with it coming lose but mostly causes speakers to come and go just try and snug the bolt up on tha one

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition