possible to remove 3rd row seat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Road Couch

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2006 Eddie Bauer that rides like a couch, we love it, expect for it's gas mileage, lol. I also have two kids, 6 and 8, who today sat in the back while sipping their fruit smoothies. We stopped to watch wildfire helicopters and one of the kids proceeded to dump their smoothie, most of it running down under the 3rd row seat.

I've tried to get most of it wiped up but there's a puddle of it and its already starting to smell in the near 100 temp. I've researched on how to remove the seats or some other way to get better access to clean it up and haven't found anything for these powered seats. :think:

Can someone please reference or point me in a direction on how I can get those seats out? And yes, it'll be a while before kids are in back having anything to drink.

Thanks in advance

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is usually a lever in the back you lift up on, tilt up and jerk back. It is heavy so have a helper when you take it out.

OP
OP
R

Road Couch

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick response, I went out and checked it again but do not see a lever. These seats fold down into the floor.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Removal and Installation

CAUTION: To prevent possible damage to the third row seat or the safety belts, make sure that the safety belts are not fastened when moving the seat to the load floor position.

CAUTION: Make sure that no objects such as books, purses or briefcases on the floor in front of the third row seats or on the seat cushion before lowering the backrest(s).

NOTE: The third row seat backrests need to be in the raised position for removal of the third row seats.

All seats

Remove the load floor panel.
Remove the jack assembly.
Remove the load floor panel latch striker bolts and the latch striker.
Remove the 3 pin-type retainers and the jack storage compartment liner.
Remove the 2 bolts in mid-floor panel support, lift on the front of mid-floor panel support to release the 3 retainer clips and remove the panel support.
Power-fold seats with inoperative motor, backrest in down position

Using a suitable tool, insert it in the outboard side of the third row power seat motor. Raise the seat backrest.

Power-fold seats with seized motor or drive cable damaged, backrest in down position

Cut and remove the power seat drive cable.

Using a suitable tool, insert it into the drive gear assembly and raise the seat backrest.

Power-fold seats

Detach the wire harness pin-type retainer, disconnect the power fold seat motor electrical connector and remove the pivot bolt.
To install, tighten to 30 Nm (22 lb-ft).
All seats

Remove the seat-to-floor front bolt covers by opening rear tabs and slide cover forward.
Remove the 2 seat riser-to-floor front bolts.
To install, tighten to 30 Nm (22 lb-ft).
Remove the 4 seat-to-floor rear bolts and remove the seat.
To install, tighten to 40 Nm (30 lb-ft).
To install, reverse the removal procedure.
Make sure the safety belts and buckles are accessible to the occupants after 60 percent seat installation.

Rear Seat Backrest — Third Row, 40 Percent
Removal and Installation

All seats

Remove the third row 40 percent seat. For additional information, refer to Rear Seat — Third Row in this section.
Remove the 2 screws and the inboard and outboard slide bracket covers.
Release the backrest trim cover lower and inboard J-clips.
Manual fold seat

Remove the manual seat cable.
Pinch the cable end and remove the cable from the retainer.
Release the cable end hook from the retaining hole.

All seats

Remove the outboard slide bracket-to-backrest frame and outboard slide bracket-to-outboard latch nuts.
To install, tighten to 15 Nm (11 lb-ft).
Remove the inboard slide bracket-to-backrest frame and inboard slide bracket-to-outboard latch nuts.
Remove the backrest from the cushion.

Rear Seat Backrest — Third Row, 60 Percent
Removal and Installation

All seats

Remove the third row 60 percent seat. For additional information, refer to Rear Seat — Third Row in this section.
Remove the 2 screws and the inboard and outboard slide bracket covers.
Release the backrest trim cover lower and inboard J-clips.
Manual fold seats

Remove the manual seat cable.
Pinch the cable end and remove the cable from retainer.
Release the cable end hook from the retaining hole.

All seats

Remove the outboard slide bracket-to-backrest frame and outboard slide bracket-to-outboard latch nuts.
Remove the inboard slide bracket-to-backrest frame and inboard slide bracket-to-outboard latch nuts.
Remove the backrest from the cushion.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is usually a lever in the back you lift up on, tilt up and jerk back. It is heavy so have a helper when you take it out.

he has an 06 so no pulling out...2nd gens are not removable...fold flat by power or manual...appears roxy hooked him up though

2005Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im glad its not removable , to prevent thief, very common to see chevy tahoe, surban, cady third row seat on ebay and craiglist , but no ford ^^

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im glad its not removable , to prevent thief, very common to see chevy tahoe, surban, cady third row seat on ebay and craiglist , but no ford ^^

what did this have to do with what the OP asked and if you read the instructions that I sent him it is how to remove the seats

also it is common to see 1st gen expedition third row seats for sale

2005Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what did this have to do with what the OP asked and if you read the instructions that I sent him it is how to remove the seats

also it is common to see 1st gen expedition third row seats for sale

why you mad ? what I mean is ford engineer puting more though on this removable third row seat thing to prevent thief, it can be remove, but require more time and properly correct tool. and that a A++ on ford thief prevent situation, not like chevy tahoe / cady / surba..2005+ third row seat can be remove under 1 min without using any special tool.

about common to see 1st gen expy third row seat , is either the owner got stolen now he need replace or some guy stole it and sell it. This third row seat / truck tail gate being stolen is pretty common here in LA California , and it was all over the news at one point, and I think ford learn from it and redesign the easy remove idea.

to OP , they selling some kind of cargo mat for third row seat, folding down. This what we had in our 2012 suburban LTZ, easy to wash, clean, and you can pretty much throw anything back there, flower, straw, soil...its very durable . ebay is where I get it from, brand name is husky. Weather tech is another one that is good, i like husky cause it way cheaper and its very thick.

Attachments

• 41148-Chevy-Tahoe-2006.jpg
    41148-Chevy-Tahoe-2006.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,849
Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
again what did your 2nd post have to do with the OP's question about how to remove the seats

and also it does no good to have a cargo mat that covers the seats when something is spilled elsewhere and it were to flow under the mats

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
why do people keep saying 2nd gen 3rd row is not removable? I removed the 3rd row power seats from a wrecked 04 to install in mine. they came out and went in fine, tho i have yet to connect power for them.