Possible Winter road trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My cousin is getting married the weekend before Christmas in the Salt Lake City area. Thoughts on driving from Sacramento area. I can work from wherever the week of Christmas.

Expected state of I-80, time to allow, etc.

Figure Dinner Pass is one of the most likely road closures. Not that familiar with the other potential choke points East.

It is just about 11 hours in dry conditions.

I would starting with a full tank in would need 3-4 fills round trip normally. Probably less but good place to put the fuel budget. That means even at $4 a gallon about the price of one airline ticket, or 2 train tickets never mind a rental car when I got there. With 5 people going, driving works out cheaper.

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Road trips can be a lot of fun. We go from Rochester NY down to Williamsburg Va after Christmas. 5 of us and a 12 hour drive. We have a ball and make memories.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

grumpyoleman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We made the same trip last fall, left from Yuba City area, over Donner Pass, Through NV, hit Salt Lake City and kept going.
I didn't move out of CA, I escaped …

anyway, nice drive. you get a little of everything as far as geography goes. Take your time and enjoy the views and talk to some people. well worth it in my opinion.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And once you break free of California, gas prices will drop significantly making it even less expensive.

Plati

Reaction score
All depends on the weather. I like to build a little flexibility into my travels and go when it's thumbs up. You can get caught in some sheet in winter and you need to be prepared and not take chances you can't handle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69