Power Fold mirrors -- how do they work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, this may sound like a really stupid question to ask. I did look though and I could not find the answer -- even in the owner's manual.

My '17 XLT does not have power-fold mirrors but I want to add this option. I'm curious to know exactly how the power fold switch works. I know you first place the mirror switch in the "neutral" position, then pull back on the switch to fold the mirrors in.

My question is, once the mirrors have been folded, do you pull back on the switch again to "un-fold" them? Or, do you push forward on the switch to un-fold?

The factory wiring diagram is a bit confusing. There's one input line to the Driver Door Module for power-fold activation. The diagram appears to show the switch internally connects this input to +12V when you pull back on the knob (i.e. "up"). That makes sense. But, the diagram also appears to show that the switch internally connects this same input to ground if you push forward on the knob (i.e. "down"). That's why I was confused about the operation of the switch.

Thanks for your help and for putting up with such a seemingly silly question! :)

EDIT: The owner's manual does say to pull back to fold or un-fold. So I guess I answered my own question. Again, just wanting to confirm. . . Thanks!

You might want to search around the end of '16, beginning of '17, maybe later for a post on "Powerfold mirror replacement". There was a guy selling brass parts and pieces for them and he was asking hos long they last and stuff....seemed pretty sharp....he might even have a retrofit kit for you!

jeff

OP
OP
S

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last edited:

The Wiped Cam

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just came back to report that the XLT Premium trim--at least the 2013 and the 2011 ones-- with the memory seating option can have the auto folding mirrors installed on it without running additional wiring. I had the privilege to flash an As Built DSM from a properly spec'd truck using IDS though. Your results may vary, and may cause you to lose a bunch of money on this experiment.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to rip out a couple of wiring harnesses from a 2012+ Expy to get the driver-side auto dimming function to work on my '11 XLT-P:fishing1: (I like my steak done OEM)

EDIT: the auto fold mentioned in this reply refers to the powerfold feature. This poster, my self, is a bonafide *******.

Last edited:

BookemDanno

Reaction score
Ok, so if I have a 2015 XLT with the 202A package (10 way memory seat), basically all I need is the power folding mirrors from a similar year (15-17) and the switch module for the door? Autofolding would be sweet, but I would settle for the power fold.

The Wiped Cam

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, so if I have a 2015 XLT with the 202A package (10 way memory seat), basically all I need is the power folding mirrors from a similar year (15-17) and the switch module for the door? Autofolding would be sweet, but I would settle for the power fold.

I don't think so. I don't have any experience carrying out this swap on a 2015+ MY Expy. However, the previous ones at least require a Forscan/IDS flash also, GRANTED you have already made sure the power fold pins exist in the power mirror harnesses.

Last edited:

BookemDanno

Reaction score
I don't think so. I don't have any experience carrying out this swap on a 2015+ MY Expy. However, the previous ones at least require a Forscan/IDS flash also, GRANTED you have already made sure the power fold pins exist in the power mirror harnesses.

I can definitely check the power pin, and I already have Forscan. I might pull that mirror off this week and check the pinout. We have a narrow driveway and have banged mirrors a few times!

OP
OP
S

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just came back to report that the XLT Premium trim--at least the 2013 and the 2011 ones-- with the memory seating option can have the auto folding mirrors installed on it without running additional wiring.

I think you meant "power fold" and not "auto folding?" The auto fold feature (folding/unfolding the mirrors when the truck is locked/unlocked) is not available on our Expeditions. It's controlled by the Driver Door Module (DDM) on F150's.

Also, I don't think we've established -- at least in this thread -- that wires for power-fold and/or auto-dim are already present in 2015-17 trucks equipped with memory/heated/turn signal mirrors. Hopefully they are, but this still needs to be confirmed.

If the wiring *is* there, you would need to swap out your mirror switch, but even then the power-folding feature still might not work. It's possible this needs to be enabled in the Driver Seat Module (DSM) via FORscan. This also needs to be confirmed for 2015-17 models.

I can't find any info on DSM options or programming. Does anyone have codes for either Expedition or 2011-14 F-150 DSM options? Thanks! :)

Last edited:

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Even if the wiring is there, I'm inclined to say that the DSM will require firmware update for powerfold also. if your dealership is anything like mine, they won't touch it with a 10-foot pole.

The Wiped Cam

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you meant "power fold" and not "auto folding?" ......

You know what? I have another vehicle being discussed in another forum that has some issues going on with the autofold. I, being a moron that I am, wrote autofold instead of power fold in my posting here. Extremely sorry for the mixup.
:025: