power loss and wrench icon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gkretro

Reaction score
This just happened to me on 2017 truck. Its a 2 wheel drive with about 62K on the clock. I was on level ground going about 30 mph, had a very sudden power loss and the yellow wrench icon appeared with "see manual". I was able to pull to side of the road, shut the engine off, counted to 5, restarted and everything was fine. I'm going to dig out my Scangauge II and see if I can read any codes. Searching online indicates it may be the throttle position sensor. I searched the pdf for the owners manual and "wrench" find entries about changing tires, so not that helpful. I'm guessing other folks have seen this besides me, any feedback greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
G

gkretro

Reaction score
Update: Nothing on my Scangauge but apparently restarting the engine may clear the codes. I found several posts relating to throttle body or thottle position sensor. The owners manual indicates a generic "powertrain fault".

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you lose power steering? On a 5.4 that would sound like a throttle body issue tripping the ECU up.

For an ecobeast, not sure... maybe look on F150 forums? They have a LOT more ecoboost experience and info.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This just happened to me on 2017 truck. Its a 2 wheel drive with about 62K on the clock. I was on level ground going about 30 mph, had a very sudden power loss and the yellow wrench icon appeared with "see manual". I was able to pull to side of the road, shut the engine off, counted to 5, restarted and everything was fine. I'm going to dig out my Scangauge II and see if I can read any codes. Searching online indicates it may be the throttle position sensor. I searched the pdf for the owners manual and "wrench" find entries about changing tires, so not that helpful. I'm guessing other folks have seen this besides me, any feedback greatly appreciated.

Turning off the engine often resets the throttle body, and allows for an engine re start and normal operation. There is a good chance the issue will return (with family on the expressway?).

I would have the throttle body replaced or replace it. Ford had issued a TSB (I don’t have a copy) for the 2015 - 2017 Ford Expeditions and problems with the throttle body.

There are a lot of posts on this forum, with good information, regarding the problem.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gkretro

Reaction score
I found more posts on various sites that point towards the throttle body so that's where I'm going go.

Andy Rubalcaba

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you lose power steering? On a 5.4 that would sound like a throttle body issue tripping the ECU up.

For an ecobeast, not sure... maybe look on F150 forums? They have a LOT more ecoboost experience and info.
it's a 2017 so it'll be an ecoboost.

OP
OP
G

gkretro

Reaction score
Update on this issue:
Took the car to a shop I trust. They found no codes stored even though I had failure happen on the way to their shop. They were unable to duplicate the problem and were about to give up when they experienced the problem. Again, they found no codes so they drove it some more with a reader attached. Had the problem happen and basically pointed to either the throttle body or PCM. The PCM is special order and over $1K, throttle body is cheaper and in stock so we're gonna try that. Another possible cause is supposedly low battery voltage. Battery is the original and marginal so I'm replacing it, mostly so I don't have to worry about it.
The issue of codes not being stored is kind of worrisome, I'm really hoping its the throttle body since that's a known issue with several Ford engines.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update on this issue:
Took the car to a shop I trust. They found no codes stored even though I had failure happen on the way to their shop. They were unable to duplicate the problem and were about to give up when they experienced the problem. Again, they found no codes so they drove it some more with a reader attached. Had the problem happen and basically pointed to either the throttle body or PCM. The PCM is special order and over $1K, throttle body is cheaper and in stock so we're gonna try that. Another possible cause is supposedly low battery voltage. Battery is the original and marginal so I'm replacing it, mostly so I don't have to worry about it.
The issue of codes not being stored is kind of worrisome, I'm really hoping its the throttle body since that's a known issue with several Ford engines.

A weak, or failing battery, can cause all types of electrical issues in today’s modern vehicles. You’re smart to replace the battery.

Let us know if the problem continues - which will probably be a failure of the throttle body.

Good luck.

OP
OP
G

gkretro

Reaction score
Final update: Shop replaced the throttle body, drove it around w/o further problems. Not too surprising given the history of issues with Ford throttle bodies. I'm kind of surprised that no failure codes were stored, given the severity of the problem. But I drove about 100 miles over this weekend towing a cargo trailer and had no issues, so I'm pretty happy.