Power Running Board Settings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roybus14

Reaction score
2023 Stealth Limited - Running boards settings gives three options - Off (retracted all the time); Out (out all the time); Auto (retracting when doors open and close).

The Auto option has an additional setting for Standard retraction (25 seconds to retract after closing door) and Extended Timer (5 minutes to retract after closing doors).

I have my settings to Auto -> Extended Timer. The Extended is supposed to be for constant door opening like grocer shopping to reduce wear and tear on the boards.

Th Extended timer is not working whether the truck is on or off. Especially when off. The boards retract within 10 seconds after closing the door.

Any suggestions or is this a service issue? Thank you very much for any assistance…

Regards,

LegalBrief

Reaction score
2022-2023 Expedition - Approach Detection Or Power Door Unlock Command Power Running Board Extended Deployment Auto Timer Inoperative - Vehicles Built On Or Before August 31, 2023

Some 2022-2023 Expedition vehicles, built on or before 31-Aug-2023, may exhibit an inoperative approach detection or power door unlock command power running board extended deployment auto timer feature (delayed for 300 seconds without opening the door) when Extended is selected in the center display screen for the power running board AUTO mode. This may be due to various software parameters in the driver front seat module (DSM). To correct the condition, download and run the Driver Front Seat Module (DSM) Configuration app using the latest level of the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS). For claiming use causal part number 14C708 and applicable labor times from Section 10 of the Service Labor Times Standard (SLTS) Manual.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

roybus14

Reaction score
2022-2023 Expedition - Approach Detection Or Power Door Unlock Command Power Running Board Extended Deployment Auto Timer Inoperative - Vehicles Built On Or Before August 31, 2023

Some 2022-2023 Expedition vehicles, built on or before 31-Aug-2023, may exhibit an inoperative approach detection or power door unlock command power running board extended deployment auto timer feature (delayed for 300 seconds without opening the door) when Extended is selected in the center display screen for the power running board AUTO mode. This may be due to various software parameters in the driver front seat module (DSM). To correct the condition, download and run the Driver Front Seat Module (DSM) Configuration app using the latest level of the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS). For claiming use causal part number 14C708 and applicable labor times from Section 10 of the Service Labor Times Standard (SLTS) Manual.
GM and thanks!! I assume I have to download the onto the truck? Is the labor manual the expensive one that dealers and shops use? Let me know.

Appreciate your reply….

Tiger Bob

Reaction score
If you want the boards out for an extended period, just leave one of the doors slightly ajar on the side you want the boards down. When I'm working on the vehicle inside and out, this is easier that fooling around with those settings each time you want to change something.

OP
OP
R

roybus14

Reaction score
If you want the boards out for an extended period, just leave one of the doors slightly ajar on the side you want the boards down. When I'm working on the vehicle inside and out, this is easier that fooling around with those settings each time you want to change something.
Thanks Bob, but for the coins I shelled out for this truck, that feature should work.

It’s at the dealership now and when I showed the issue to the service manager, he seemed a little perplexed.

OP
OP
R

roybus14

Reaction score
Update: truck has been at dealer since last Monday(12/11). Received word on Thursday that they had to order two modules for my truck. One for running boards and one for seats.

I asked was the seat to resolve the lift gate rattle and got no answer..

What is the expected level of communication expected from the service department when they have your vehicle????

OP
OP
R

roybus14

Reaction score
Update - 12/19/23

Just heard back from service at dealership. They tried two modules with no success.

1st module installed didn’t allow them to extend at all.

2nd module installed extended them but they stayed extended (didn’t retract them).

They ordered a 3rd module that should be in tomorrow that they think will fix it and I should have my truck back on Friday (12/22/23).

And according to the svc rep that called me today, the rattling in my liftgate is fixed. Didn’t say how or what but it’s fixed.

If this forum posts specifics on a fix and what build dates are affected (built before 08/31/23), then Ford should know as a whole and have a fix already that can resolve the issue quickly instead of going through different modules.

And at the model type (Limited - Stealth) and price point, am I asking too much??

Flathead40

Reaction score
We have had the same issue with our '23 Limited Max. Brought it in to the dealership and they performed the TSB but it didn't fix anything. However, through some research I was able to remedy some of the issue with ForScan. The Driver Seat Module is where the Power Running Boards are controlled from (Hence why the setting is under Easy Entry/Exit). Previous Gen it was elsewhere and also why there is no more individual control.

Here's what I did:
Using the Livnitup's Sheet for the 21+ F150 (22+ Expeds have the same modules as 21+ F-150) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...wyqu5v3dgpbluvJcezUItTSVI/edit#gid=1864620585

Block 744-31-01 is the one where the stow delay times are for the running boards. The values stored are for seconds (represented in Hex)

**xx xxxx xxxx - Door Delay Config (This is how soon they stow once door is closed.) Factory setting was 04 (4 seconds) I changed ours to 3C (60 seconds).

xx** xxxx xxxx - Standard Stow Delay Time - Factory Setting is 19 (25 seconds)

xxxx **** xxxx - Extended Stow Delay Time - Factory Setting is 012C (300 seconds)

xxxx xxxx **xx - Stow Delay Time - Factory Setting is 19 (25 seconds) I changed to 3C (60 seconds) -- This is the one I'm not 100% on the functionality of and I think might be where the issue is in the extended time feature.

NOTE: Our extended timer still does not work as advertised, however now the running boards stay out for a minute when opening and closing doors. This is a game changer with kids in car seats.

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
NOTE: Our extended timer still does not work as advertised, however now the running boards stay out for a minute when opening and closing doors. This is a game changer with kids in car seats.
Thanks for sharing! Clarifying question: your update means each and every time you open and close a door, the boards are now staying down for 60 seconds, right?

Flathead40

Reaction score
That is correct after opening and closing the doors the running boards stay out for 60 seconds (unless you lock or exceed 5mph)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett