Powered sub in factory location.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

andrew_s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now do you think coaxial in the back with component up front would sound better then coaxial in front and back and new tweeters up top? I assume you have done a few setups in your truck and curious as to what your opinion is.

Im not going high end like I have in the past, rather Im getting the following:

Rear and possibly front too
Pioneer 6" x 8" 4-Way Car Speakers with Mica Matrix Cones (Pair) Black TS-A6886R - Best Buy

These if I go coaxial in both front and rear to replace my tweets
Pioneer 3/4" Polyester Fiber Soft-Dome Tweeters (Pair) Black TST15 - Best Buy

I havent decided on a component if Im going that route, but I like to keep speakers in the same brand so whatever lower or mid range pioneer that meets my standards.

EDIT: I just found out Walmart is $10 cheaper and has them in stock closer. Might make the trip before or after the gym today for them.

EDIT 2: So I just found out I can get infinity reference shipped to my door with installation parts for cheaper then buying the cheaper pioneers and get the adapters separate.

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any upgrade is better than stock...I used to have kicker 5x7 coaxials in my truck and they sounded good...went I put an amp to them they sounded even better...when it comes to what sounds better it's personal preference...if u get a 2-way...honestly it's gonna sound almost the same...the thing about components is u can place the tweeter in a desired position...a lot of ppl put components up front and coaxials in the back...so it's not uncommon...I put components in the rear as well cuz I like the placement of the tweeters and the overall sound...mine are placed high by the window so the highs can be heard easily...gives me the sound I like best...and they're on an amp getting 100w...each

Mr. 10K

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

andrew_s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since I found infinity to be cheaper, I might go with reference 2 ways all around and replace the factory tweets with reference tweets to make my OCD happy. I know it matter little to nothing but I want 6x8 and I reall prefer keeping brand and level equal as its always sounded better to me (go figure). As you said anything is better then my muddy factory speakers, and I dont want to have a reason to want to blast toons in the jeep more then my expedition.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the process on ebay for those too...I buy a lot of my stuff from ebay...parts...subs...speakers...amps...rims...clothes

Mr. 10K

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would not have two sets of tweeters (coax and standalone tweeters) in different places. I would stick to comps up front and coax in the rear doors. Personally prefer less rear fill and my next build(different vehicle) will not have any at all but that is personal preference. You can mess up the soundstage with tweeters in the doors and up higher.

Also don't forget sound deadening. It will make a bug difference especially in midbass if you do the doors.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All personal preference...I'm gonna have 2 sets of tweeters and a super tweeter in each door...and 8" pro speaker in each door...my preference

Mr. 10K

OP
OP
A

andrew_s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would not have two sets of tweeters (coax and standalone tweeters) in different places. I would stick to comps up front and coax in the rear doors. Personally prefer less rear fill and my next build(different vehicle) will not have any at all but that is personal preference. You can mess up the soundstage with tweeters in the doors and up higher.

Also don't forget sound deadening. It will make a bug difference especially in midbass if you do the doors.

Yeah if money wasnt an issue Id def get component up front. But I do have a jeep grand cherokee thats running the following:

Dash board (relatively close to where ours are)
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Reference-3032cf-Performance-Loudspeaker/dp/B002CMYVLI?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Front door
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Reference-6032cf-6-5-Inch-High-Performance/dp/B002BZFSYA?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

Rear door
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Reference-9632cf-Performance-Loudspeaker/dp/B002CIU78I?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

2 way speakers at both door and dash corner area and that sound system is one of the best sounding systems I have heard this side of amps and subs and audiophile tuning. Id do the same if I had a factory spot to put them and sub out the door tweets. But alas I cannot without fabrication I dont have time or money to do.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ebay!!! U will be surprised how cheap u can get a good set of components...I paid $150 for mine...front and rear...ebay...Facebook audio group pages is where u connect with dealers and get sweet deals...I should've paid over $3K for my sub amps... $1600 connecting with a dealer on Facebook...there are local dealers that don't work for audio shops that can hook u up too...but ebay has been the cheapest for me...

Mr. 10K

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand bout money...I have SMD DD- 1 and CC-1 to set my gains and crossovers...I'll be doing that to my current setup tomorrow and to my wife's car...still figuring out how and where to put my batteries...once I figure that out I'll just be waiting to buy the navigator so I can take out the 3rd row seats...and layout the amps...more ideas keep popping in my head...lol...this had been in the making for 3 years for me...the end is near

Mr. 10K

OP
OP
A

andrew_s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Something tells me you want me to check out ebay lol. Yeah I will obviously look there too, I was just linking what I bought a bunch of years ago for my jeep.