Pre cut PATS I key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shadow460

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where would one order a pre cut PATS I ignition key?

My keys and the pins in the cylinder lock switch are worn out to the point that I have to twist half a dozen times to get the ignition key to turn. I picked up two cylinders from a junkyard today and took the sidebar out of one of the cylinders. That cylinder will turn with any key although the PATS I system still requires one of the original keys to start the vehicle.

What I want to do is obtain a pre cut key and then have a locksmith match the other cylinder to it. I can program the new keys with the modified cylinder and then switch the new cylinder in after that.

Alyusha

Reaction score
Where would one order a pre cut PATS I ignition key?

My keys and the pins in the cylinder lock switch are worn out to the point that I have to twist half a dozen times to get the ignition key to turn. I picked up two cylinders from a junkyard today and took the sidebar out of one of the cylinders. That cylinder will turn with any key although the PATS I system still requires one of the original keys to start the vehicle.

What I want to do is obtain a pre cut key and then have a locksmith match the other cylinder to it. I can program the new keys with the modified cylinder and then switch the new cylinder in after that.

This probably is not the info you are looking for, but I figure why not.. I had a ranger once that I had to drill out the ignition. After a while I got sick of starting it with a screw driver, so I went to ford and they gave me a new ignition and 2 keys for it for about $50 if I recall correctly.

It was a 2002 Ford Ranger, I am not sure what security system it had outside of a basic factory one, or if it was PATS I or not, but it worked.

Hit By Thunder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ya its cool you only need one key to program another one. My 2001 F150 needs 2 keys to program another.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
You need 2 working keys in order to program a 3rd.

If you have the key # from the little metal tag that originally comes with the keys, the dealer can cut you a key from that number. Look in the manual case, that's where they usually end up. The dealer will still have to program it for you, if you don't have 2 working keys though.

I just paid about $150 at the dealer for a key, oil change and to find my keyless door code on the Excursion.