Press Stop Underway, Automatically Shifts to Park???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AndrewS

Reaction score
Curious if disabling the seatbelt alarm would have the same effect as being buckled in to bypass the auto-return to park when you open your door.11A73F8F-1A1D-42CD-AFC1-6169482EBB17.png

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Someone needs to go take a test drive and give some of these tests a go!

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a quick note, I was traveling at near highway speed’s when I realized I had not changed my mode to economy, which I usually do. I grabbed the knob while watching the display and nothing changed. To my horror I realized I had changed the shift knob to R. I quickly went back to D. Nothing happened. Please do not try this at home. LOL

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a quick note, I was traveling at near highway speed’s when I realized I had not changed my mode to economy, which I usually do. I grabbed the knob while watching the display and nothing changed. To my horror I realized I had changed the shift knob to R. I quickly went back to D. Nothing happened. Please do not try this at home. LOL
Good info, thank you!

That's not particularly surprising given the shifter is electronic, not mechanical. Rotating the dial doesn't shift the vehicle...it tells the vehicle you want to shift...then, IF the parameters are met for a safe shift, the vehicle will actually shift the tranny.

Highlightreel

Reaction score
Since we are back on this topic, someone on here (I can't remember common contributor) said they just pull to their stop and hit STOP and don't even bother shifting back to P. I have done this a couple times and kind of prefer it.

Is this confirmed to be OK for the vehicle? Based on what Aggie just noted (since it's not actually shifting, if parameters fit...) I would think it's ok but also don't want to be ignorant and do something that overtime may be worse for the vehicle.

I say this because almost every time I pull into my garage my car auto-stops and shuts off the friggin engine. Then when I shift to P it starts up again just for me to hit STOP.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since we are back on this topic, someone on here (I can't remember common contributor) said they just pull to their stop and hit STOP and don't even bother shifting back to P. I have done this a couple times and kind of prefer it.

Is this confirmed to be OK for the vehicle? Based on what Aggie just noted (since it's not actually shifting, if parameters fit...) I would think it's ok but also don't want to be ignorant and do something that overtime may be worse for the vehicle.

I say this because almost every time I pull into my garage my car auto-stops and shuts off the friggin engine. Then when I shift to P it starts up again just for me to hit STOP.
Yup, it's a "feature"

upload_2020-1-29_13-46-31.png

I don't ever shift into Park. Mostly for the ASS reason you noted, but also because that is one extra knob turn and I am faaar to important for things like that. (I'm kidding)

(No idea why it loaded that picture twice)

upload_2020-1-29_13-46-24.png

flying68

Full Access Members
Reaction score

It is just fine if you are stopped. I try to do it if I remember because of what you just said, but now I have also gotten pretty good at throwing it into park as soon as I stop before auto stop-start kicks in. I just need to remember more often if the a.s.s. kicks in before I shift then just hit the button.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 2018 loaner I had certainly felt like it slammed into park when opening the door in reverse, but like pressing the start button, I speculate the electronic parking brake played a large role in stopping the vehicle & probably contributed the sudden jolt. Skeptical its only using the transmission.

The same AutoVlog guy mentioned earlier did another video about putting the transmission in Reverse at highway speed....

You can skip to 1:40

Highlightreel

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! I should have looked for the answer first but appreciate the feedback. That's a nice 'feature' because of the ASS.

Thanks again and Stay Classy forum!

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use this feature all the time when stopping and parking but no way I have the guts to try it while moving. In theory the transmission won't let you do anything stupid like shift into reverse while moving forward.
I agree. In my 2015 Camry that has manual override for the transmission, it won't let you downshift too much if your speed is too high. It just beeps at you. Once your speed drops sufficiently, it will let you downshift some more. I use it all the time to save the brakes.