Programmers / Reading Codes & Data / Etc.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been searching the forum for info but I'm thinking some of the information may be dated so...

What is a decent programmer these days? Edge or Superchips still the go to devices?

What about Forscan on Android? I have Torque and just installed Forscan but it's too late to mess with them tonight. There's a couple of Apple devices in the house also if there are better tools on that platform.

I've got several itches to scratch...

1.) New tires are going on so would like to re-calibrate the speedometer to compensate for 33.5" tall tires.

2.) Installing an Andriod head unit this weekend: would like to add some kind of an app that would let me monitor transmission, water and oil temperature if all are available via OBD (not too sure about oil temp).

3.) ABS light is on, need to isolate the problem and repair.

I've got a couple of generic, cheapie OBD scanners kicking around also.

Do I need to get any new tools or between the OBD scanners and the Android tools do I have enough stuff to do anything I'd need?

Thanks.

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OBD2 to Bluetooth

Devices are great, cheap, and work. Your head unit "should" be able to talk to it [Audio installer, I never say will], its a dongle that plugs into the OBD2 connector, and just lets you read out via android.

Check what stats the one you buy pulls, and whatever other info you want to monitor.

Misfit

Reaction score
I have a SCTx4 hand held programmer for my Mustang, but it will work on the expedition. I've actually got it tuned right now with it, as well as read DTC's when I bought it to diagnose a few issues.

OP
OP
R

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a cheap Chinese wifi OBD dongle that basically lives in my Audi for the evap emissions code that gets thrown in dewey mornings. I'll throw it in the Expedition and see where it leads.

emtmark

Reaction score
Code readers are simply interrogators devices that actually change parameters and program changes are a separate and much more expensive beast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got to try out Forscan with the wifi dongle. Works great.

Now I have "alphabet soup" of codes to figure out. I'm new to Fords so I may be asking for some help if there's subtleties. :)

OP
OP
R

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got to try out Forscan with the wifi dongle. Works great.

Now I have "alphabet soup" of codes to figure out. I'm new to Fords so I may be asking for some help if there's subtleties. :)

emtmark

Reaction score
There a lot of resources start working through them try to learn how they relate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been eyeing this.

SCT Performance - SCT Advantage III Ford Pro Racer Software  Part Number: 4332

I've been helping a buddy tune his race car with a similar setup (not Ford) and I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to be happy with a hand held and canned tunes after using this type of system.

Should be able to rid the PCM of PATS with this system, no?

I'm going to look into the Moates stuff also.

Others I should be looking into?

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm a DIY tuner as well (mostly Subaru and other turbos), so I wasn't too crazy about getting a canned tune. It wasn't really worth it to me for this platform though to do full on tune at that kind of cost. In the future if/when I add some boost to this truck, I will be going that SCT software route.

A few years ago, I got a deal on a Diablo tuner. I found the tune to be garbage but the tuner itself had some good options for making changes to things outside of the canned tune.

At this point I'm still using that tuner, though on the stock tune with just +4 degrees of global timing advance and running 93 octane to account for it. I was using the Diablo as a scan tool and gauge reader but it only shows a few PIDs at once and is large and clunky.

I've since installed a quad core android headunit, added a BT OBD2 adapter and am using that for gauges/vehicle monitoring with the Torque app.

Attachments

• IMG_2068.jpg
    IMG_2068.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 55