Prospective Expedition Owner...What am I in for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sandy M

Reaction score
We purchased the Expedition to travel in as retirees. We love everything about it BUT the paint bubbling and peeling on the rear hatch is still a problem. It hasn't been fixed. So if you want a reliable vehicle I recommend the Expedition but to pay $60,000 for one like we did only to have it look terrible with this paint issue is crazy. Yes, they said the issue was fixed when we purchased it because I specifically asked them. They lied. Not fixed. So buyer beware.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We purchased the Expedition to travel in as retirees. We love everything about it BUT the paint bubbling and peeling on the rear hatch is still a problem. It hasn't been fixed. So if you want a reliable vehicle I recommend the Expedition but to pay $60,000 for one like we did only to have it look terrible with this paint issue is crazy. Yes, they said the issue was fixed when we purchased it because I specifically asked them. They lied. Not fixed. So buyer beware.

Was it used? If so, maybe it was in an accident and repainted poorly???? Just speculating....

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven’t seen any paint bubbling on the aluminum bodies except on F-150s. I’ve seen a few 15+ F-150s with peeling paint around the wheel well flare plastic trim.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Absolutely my thoughts exactly. If I am paying big bucks for a quality SUV, I'm not risking some moron abusing it from new on and then me buying it just as the warranty is running out! lol. No thanks! lol.

If you get a used one with less than 3 years and 36,000 miles you can purchase the Ford factory extended warranty.

Expeditions drop in value like crazy on the used market (maybe the new gen will hold value better?). I bought one from a mom & pop used dealer that was listed by car fax as either a fleet or rental vehicle. Even adding in the warranty the Expy was less expensive than a equivalent used Sequoia or 4runner. Now I'm good to 8 years/125000 miles with a $100 deductible.

Just a thought.

So to the OP, plan on keeping it quite awhile or lease it. Otherwise the depreciation is steep on the Expeditions especially when you pay MSRP.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you get a used one with less than 3 years and 36,000 miles you can purchase the Ford factory extended warranty.

Expeditions drop in value like crazy on the used market (maybe the new gen will hold value better?). I bought one from a mom & pop used dealer that was listed by car fax as either a fleet or rental vehicle. Even adding in the warranty the Expy was less expensive than a equivalent used Sequoia or 4runner. Now I'm good to 8 years/125000 miles with a $100 deductible.

Just a thought.

So to the OP, plan on keeping it quite awhile or lease it. Otherwise the depreciation is steep on the Expeditions especially when you pay MSRP.
Having driven fleet vehicles for 10 years and seeing the treatment they received by hundreds of coworkers and myself I would take a hard pass on one. A rental? Passing even harder. However, driving the Ford fleet vehicles for 10 years did factor into my purchase of a Ford product as those 60k miles were a testament to the ford build quality. But that’s just me.

RhinoQuartz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven’t seen any paint bubbling on the aluminum bodies except on F-150s. I’ve seen a few 15+ F-150s with peeling paint around the wheel well flare plastic trim.
Very common on Explorers. Literally every post on the Facebook group for 5th gens is about the hood paint peeling, but it is covered by a 5yr/unlimited miles warranty.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ya, a big no thanks on a rental or fleet vehicle. I've driven rentals and there's just something about a vehicle that you don't own, so most beat them to death.

parkerdoug383

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That quote is for a 2WD...(rear-wheel drive).

Why anyone would buy one of these without 4WD escapes me. The 4WD are better in safety tests than the 2WD versions, plus you can simply do more. Let me track down some stats.

parkerdoug383

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The reason to buy a 2wd is there cheaper and you eliminate a lot of maintenance issues. Plus 90% of 4wd's are never used Sally housewife uses these vehicles to shuttle the kids around and go to the grocery store.I live in the Northeast and only used my 4wd once and that was just to see if it worked.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Newbie here. I have been looking to purchase a new full-size SUV for several months now. Wife and I live out of state and away from family and travel home often to visit. Plus we have our first little one due in November. Needless to say we need a large vehicle that fits our travel needs, plus kid/dog. We have test driven the Tahoe, Denali, Expedition Limited and Sequoia and liked certain things about each of them. The reliability of the Toyota is a huge plus for me, but I refuse to buy a $65K SUV with 90s technology on the interior. Denali and Tahoe Premier were very nice, but I am somewhat partial to the Fords being from Louisville. I have never owned a Ford (or Chevy for that matter) and am looking for input on your all's reliability experience and overall ownership experience with the Expeditions. I am almost settled on the Ford, but looking for some input/advice to push me over the edge on my decision. Never thought I would spend $70K on a FORD, but that's the going rate for a full-size SUV these days. Just crazy. Thanks in advance!

Have you looked at anything else since you posted?