PSI on tires - what do you run?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donald Bell

Reaction score
I have A/T 285s on mine rates for 51psi and I run the max psi and the ride is wonderful not rough or anything!

20200427_094150.jpg

20200427_094122.jpg

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I've tried different pressures. Now I keep it at the recommended pressure Ford says. Higher pressures work much better on the highways, but Metro New York roads are horrible. Higher pressures on the potholes rattle everything and beat the hell out of the front end.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've tried different pressures. Now I keep it at the recommended pressure Ford says. Higher pressures work much better on the highways, but Metro New York roads are horrible. Higher pressures on the potholes rattle everything and beat the hell out of the front end.

I have also found that higher pressures will definitely make you feel it in your kidneys. Lol
I had one guy who ran load range E tires who said his rode best at at 80 but I have found anything over 72 even with the heavy loaded vehicles rides worse.

I just hate to see when someone puts load range D or E tires or even LT or extra load tire on a vehicle that might not have come from the factory with it that is rated for 51 lb all the way up to 80 for the load range E and they put 32 or 35 lb in them. They are always squatty and low. This sucks your fuel mileage and puts more wear and tear on your tie rods etc because of increased steering pressure to turn them. The happy medium is probably somewhere a little above that but definitely not up to 65 or 80 unless you're carrying heavy loads.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have no idea how people drive around with tires inflated like a basketball. I was in a rental the other day that for some reason was sitting at 42-43 psi on a 2018 Nissan Murano. It rode like absolute shit. I'd have stopped and dealt with it but was running behind as it was. Sure it got 32mpg on the hwy but I was literally sore from the drive after only couple hours.

It's amazing what a couple psi difference can make. Play around and see what you like. Every tire is different in how it responds at a given pressure as well as individuals personal taste in driving.

When I was in the tire shop last night a guy rolled in w a loaded 2018 F250, definitely not a tow vehicle, had 22''s and got some new Open Country AT tires and was like pump em up to 80, that's where it's at. No way this thing has ever seen anything other than pavement and didnt even have a ball on the hitch. I couldn't imagine how horrible the ride and road noise now is on a $65k vehicle.

OP
OP
RichardH

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have no idea how people drive around with tires inflated like a basketball. I was in a rental the other day that for some reason was sitting at 42-43 psi on a 2018 Nissan Murano. It rode like absolute shit. I'd have stopped and dealt with it but was running behind as it was. Sure it got 32mpg on the hwy but I was literally sore from the drive after only couple hours.

It's amazing what a couple psi difference can make. Play around and see what you like. Every tire is different in how it responds at a given pressure as well as individuals personal taste in driving.

When I was in the tire shop last night a guy rolled in w a loaded 2018 F250, definitely not a tow vehicle, had 22''s and got some new Open Country AT tires and was like pump em up to 80, that's where it's at. No way this thing has ever seen anything other than pavement and didnt even have a ball on the hitch. I couldn't imagine how horrible the ride and road noise now is on a $65k vehicle.

I bumped mine to 42F 40R a few minutes ago. I'll give it a rip tomorrow to see how it goes and intentionally drive on a poor road in my area.

I recall my Maxima in the 90's was much more sensitive to PSI with PSI front high and rear lower due to obvious reasons (FWD).

Lol, might have to add some more redneck engineering and add a wrap of electrical tape on driver's side doors to prevent rattle - we'll see. Quick, dirty fix - but it works but new door strike is not high on the priority list. Only have to cut off and re wrap tomorrow after my drive depending...

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stock tires ran max PSI F&R had consistent wear and more controlled ride

Stock 17 Wheels with 33" Toyo AT 40F 38R (Max was 65 PSI) 65 was too rough and did not shit well ran through different combination until settled on what was best for me and truck

Aftermarket 17" Method wheel with 35" Toyo RT 40F 38R. I have been running these for 3 years around 55k mile still even with life left.

Rotate every 5k miles

OP
OP
RichardH

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Edit/Update: Today I took my first longer mileage trip - 80 miles RT. I believe the increase in PSI bumped my mpg avg up.

Since it was 95% freeway, I decided to reset the mpg avg. Wasn't really paying attn to it until on the way home. I ended up with 22.6 mpg. Not bad, and rides nice with the 42F/40R psi. Re: mpg, my area is relatively flat but used to get on fwy between 17 - 20 mpg. Can't believe it made a difference. Also did not repair, replace or change any parts with the old mpg vs new mpg.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Edit/Update: Today I took my first longer mileage trip - 80 miles RT. I believe the increase in PSI bumped my mpg avg up.

Since it was 95% freeway, I decided to reset the mpg avg. Wasn't really paying attn to it until on the way home. I ended up with 22.6 mpg. Not bad, and rides nice with the 42F/40R psi. Re: mpg, my area is relatively flat but used to get on fwy between 17 - 20 mpg. Can't believe it made a difference. Also did not repair, replace or change any parts with the old mpg vs new mpg.
Lots of things can affect gas mileage including temperature and even where the gas was purchased and different batches of gas from the same station but it is amazing sometimes how much a few pounds lower on the tires can suck the fuel mileage down. However, people will still argue and want to put very low inflation pressures due to the placards inside the door.

I don't give a whole lot of credit to the manufacturer's recommendation even with the tires that came from the factory on the vehicle but once you remove those particular tires then all recommendations really go out the window.

To me, it is much more logical and important to take the tire maker's recommendation then it is a manufacturer of the vehicle.
I just can't imagine a tire that has a rated maximum pressure of 51 pounds or greater printed on the sidewall being run and only 35 PSI.
For me, I even find that 35 PSI in a tire rated for 44 Max is too low. I much prefer 42-42 in those.

You still need to keep an eye on the mill because if you are running a few pounds higher than optimal , you might get better fuel mileage, but you will notice increase wear on the center of the tires so that means you are slightly over inflated.