Question about Canadian Import Expeditions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Janky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@EngRWW33 you can change the display units. There is one option in the driver display and another in the center display. Unless you are talking about the Analog Speed Gauge - but doesn't that have both anyway?

WALoeIII

Reaction score
I bought a 2018 model Canadian re-import in 09/19 with ~9k miles, it was a bit less than 2/3rd the price of a US model, something like 50k at the time. I also have the ultra-super-extended 8 year/100k warranty through Flood Ford, and have had a little warranty work done and it was no-hassle covered, they also confirmed the 8yr/100k in the computer.

I'm pretty sure mine came out of the Vancouver film industry, they bought a fleet for a movie and then the fleet was purchased by a local importer and put up for sale. I test drove it, crawled around under it and decided if it had been fixed whatever was done was done well. They had 8 other ones in the same "batch" all with same specs (LTD 302a, bench, no-tow) and very similar mileage (~10k) in tame colors (grays, blacks, one white).

Warranty work was a faulty mirror motor that wouldn't tilt in the right direction, there is a TSB for it that fixed it.

EngRWW33

Reaction score
@EngRWW33 you can change the display units. There is one option in the driver display and another in the center display. Unless you are talking about the Analog Speed Gauge - but doesn't that have both anyway?
The analog gauge. Yes it does have both km/h and mi/h, but the markings for MPH are way to small to be useful vs the digital display.

OP
OP
L

Lghtspeedz

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional feedback. I haven’t totally written off the two local ones I mentioned in my first post. They are both Ford CPO, so there is no risk of warranty issues. For the miles on the one with tow package it seems priced high. I found a couple of new ones too and I’m trying to figure out what games they are playing with rebates. If that doesn’t work out it’s good to know there have been positive experiences with imported Expy’s.

Janky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had our Canadian model back to the (US) dealer twice now. Both times when I get in to leave, I noticed the display is back to Km/h, Celsius, and 24 hour clock. So odd!?! The first time I had to call the tech back out to help me restore the settings! First time was for servicing the running boards so it made sense they were messing with the settings. Second time was for a cabin leak. Why the heck did they reset the computer?!?

So, I hypothesize the standard practice is to connect the car to some super computer and it resets some defaults to the locale it was purchased in? Just a thought.

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Only thing to add - make sure you deal with a very reputable US dealer who has a high volume of Canadian vehicles going thru their inventory. They can trace better the history.

OP
OP
L

Lghtspeedz

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. The new models are not an option at this point. I didn’t know this, but Ford applies your local rebates no matter where you buy the car. And upstate NY does not have the same incentives as many other places within 300-500 miles of here. So I’ve been tracking used ones here and there. I’m amazed at how many of these low mileage used models I see were originally shipped to Canada. I think four of the ones I’ve seen were all repatriated. It’s crazy! The one that intrigued me the most has the lowest miles, best color, and good price. It’s at a used dealer, which admittedly makes me nervous. But from what I can tell based on the reviews it’s a reputable place. I’ll keep looking though.

charles.jessjr

Reaction score
We bought a 2018 Expedition Max Platinum on November 30th from a Ford Dealer in Waterloo IA, and our Expy was a Canadian model. The window sticker does say not for sale in the US however, he explained that was only posted for when new, has nothing to do with a used vehicle. It was Ford Certified, and still under the 3/36 as it had 26,000 miles on it, and was sold initially in July 2018. I had Cam Phasers replaced at a local dealer here in Nebraska where we live, and they had no issues with it being Canadian originally. Everything was covered at 100%, they gave us a loaner for 3 days, etc. Our MPH are the larger numbers on the dial, we do have an engine block heater, but nothing else that makes it stand out from being a Canadian model except our window sticker is in French. We got the Platinum Max, HD tow, 2nd row bench (which I didn't want - so I removed the middle seat of the second row and purchased custom floor mats that cover the bolt holes). We've been extremely happy with it so far, and have put on almost 2,000 miles. Our sales guy showed me that his personal F150 is also a Canadian model. I think it's just important to do your research. For me, the Expy being Ford Certified eased a lot of concern. I even financed it through Ford Credit.

Janky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Third time back from service. Defaults to km/h, Celcius and 24 hr clock. Not a big deal, but two things to change in the Driver display and 1 in the center display, so a little annoying.

It's funny those are the only things that change, presumably when the battery is disconnected/reconnected.