Question about Canadian Import Expeditions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lghtspeedz

Reaction score
Hello, I am in the market for an Expedition. I have been looking for used Platinum models. In an ideal world I would find a Platinum 4x4 w/ second row bench and the heavy duty tow package. This is an incredibly difficult combination to find. I was also trying to find something built after April 2019 to incorporate the cam phaser design change (I’ve been reading this forum for a while). I’d love to buy new but it’s hard to justify $70k (assuming discounts) on a vehicle. I’ve found a few used ones, some Ford certified, and while they are also expensive they’re closer to something I can stomach. The few I have found certified appear to be Canada import vehicles. So they were originally delivered in Canada, but are now for sale in the US by Ford dealers. The window sticker even says, not for sale in US market. I’m trying to get an explanation from the dealer but so far, I haven’t gotten one. There are several I’ve seen within 500 miles of me and it makes me weary to really seriously consider negotiating. Autocheck or Carfax (whichever the dealers use) claim the titles are clear and do not indicate salvage or buyback, but I’m not 100% certain it would pick that up from Canada. Has anyone seen this before? Am I right to be concerned?

I am fully aware the combination I seek is hard to find. I tow a 5,000 lb (weighed by scale) boat and trailer a few times per year and would likely venture away from the dock to other lakes more often if I had a more capable vehicle. I’ve read enough of this forum to know I’ll probably be happier with the tow package than without it, even though the standard vehicle is more than capable for my current towing needs. My preference for a second row bench is due to child car seats currently in the back for many years to come. I have always felt that a bench seat gives more flexibility and I hate the hole in the middle of the cargo area from captains chairs. Personal preference - I know many will disagree.

I do have a few out of state new vehicles that appear to be closer to my range but logistically they would be really difficult to pull off in the Covid era (it’s also not clear to me yet what discounts I will be eligible for and which ones not). My current MDX has been highly problematic and though it is half rebuilt under warranty, I’m very frustrated by it. Based on scale weight I’m within its capability, but I have no margin for error. I won’t tow the boat with my family in the car because I would be close to (but not over the GCWR). If my MDX was more reliable or more capable I’d overlook one of these things. I’ve read enough to know the Expedition might not be as reliable as my first Accord or TSX (they were oil change only), but I’m optimistic that a late build 2019 or slightly used 2020 Expy will have enough redesign gremlins worked out that it will be an improvement over what I have now. I also work five minutes from a Ford dealer and live ten minutes from another one. Service will be more convenient.

In advance, thanks for any advice you can offer.

Janky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's a great question! We also had difficulty finding an Expy with the features we wanted: Color, 4WD, Tow, Bench, Sunroof, Platinum, 22" polished, whew! There are only a few in the country that matched our criteria. (Side note: remove price from your query results. We finally found a vehicle by doing this and finding one where the dealer put, "call for price".)
It turns out ours was from Alberta, CA. I just checked the sticker and it says the same, "Not for sale in the US". Other than that, I haven't noticed anything other than the engine block heater, which I really don't need.

If anyone has a clue on a difference, let me know and I can check ours.

Craigga542

Reaction score
I searched for a long time for that exact same combination and situation, caved and purchased a 302a limited rather than a platinum. 4K miles, cheapest I found in months, purchased back in June. I still want the platinum, but for the deal, I have zero regrets. I, too, found a lot from Canada. I shied away for multiple reasons. To list a few: recall status, accidents, etc etc, are not always accurately reported and transferred. Options may not always be the same. Potential warranty conflicts that make a claim difficult. Weather is harsher.

Many will say you have nothing to worry about, and they’ll be right a majority of the time. I have terrible luck, which led me to purchase a US version.

OP
OP
L

Lghtspeedz

Reaction score
Interesting, because one of them did list the engine block heater. So two of you are confirming this is at least somewhat common. I’d love to know why they come back. One thing I was wondering is if they were press vehicles, which wouldn’t thrill me. Craigga, I too have bad luck. That’s why I’m trying to be patient and cautious. If you had told me my I’d be on a first name basis with my Acura dealer’s service department, I’d have said you were nuts. I did find a Limited but it also comes from Canada. If I give up the tow package there are a lot more options. I still think it’s the right thing to have. That bench option is a must. I don’t understand why someone buys a big car with lots of space and seating to remove a seat in the spacious row. But that’s just me. Well, I’ll keep digging and see if the dealer can explain to me what happens. I may inquire about one or two of the new ones I found just to see how they compare price wise. Some are priced low but I won’t qualify for all rebates in NY. Thanks for the input!

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It took 4 months to find my White Platinum Std, HD Tow, Bench 2nd, June 19 Build, looking daily. Few options fell thru, but was searching up to 8 hours away, willing to meet halfway.

Dealers mainly order captain second, then secondary HD Tow. Order of availability, most to least

1. Captains / No Tow
2. Bench / No Tow
3. Captains / Tow
4. Bench / Tow

OP
OP
L

Lghtspeedz

Reaction score
That is in line with what I’m seeing. All three of you added the tow package too. I’m assuming, based on what I said about my boat and trailer combo, you all think I am smart to hold out for that?

Thanks!

Craigga542

Reaction score
That is in line with what I’m seeing. All three of you added the tow package too. I’m assuming, based on what I said about my boat and trailer combo, you all think I am smart to hold out for that?

Thanks!

I definitely would

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've heard many dealer ordered captains chairs as another way to build profit. Mine has captains chairs and I would have preferred the bench too, but I'm ok with it. I also have the tow package. I think the tow package is the way to go. You get HD cooling, 3.73 gears (so it's a little quicker, but technically less fuel mileage) and a few other things I can't remember.

As far as buying a Canadian vehicle. I have mixed emotions. Some say it's the same car, others say it's not. I agree that the carfax can be incorrect due to no reporting, or delayed. I heard of a people who have purchased a Canadian car with a clean carfax and months later it shows an accident, or worse. I also understand due to the exchange rate, US dealers can buy a Canadian car pretty cheap, therefore make a much bigger profit.

I've been thinking of buying a CTS V as a weekend car. I see it's from Canada and I pretty much pass. I guess at 30 or 40k, I wouldn't worry, but at 60, 70 or 80K, I'm passing.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have a couple truck dealers here in Utah that buy new trucks in Canada and ship them here. They put lift, tires and wheels on them. Then they sell them for the same price as a new off the lot truck. You end up buying a Canadian truck used with 300 miles all decked out for the same price as a new one off the lot. Warranty stay the same. I have many buddies that have bought several trucks from these guys. No problems with any of them. The dealership still makes money doing all of that if the US dollar is strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craigga542

Reaction score
We have a couple truck dealers here in Utah that buy new trucks in Canada and ship them here. They put lift, tires and wheels on them. Then they sell them for the same price as a new off the lot truck. You end up buying a Canadian truck used with 300 miles all decked out for the same price as a new one off the lot. Warranty stay the same. I have many buddies that have bought several trucks from these guys. No problems with any of them. The dealership still makes money doing all of that if the US dollar is strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would consider this, sounds like a sweet deal and nothing wrong there. I would still shy away from an unknown used Canadian vehicle though.

Wish a dealer around here did something like that.

Last edited: