Radar Detector Mirror or sunroof switch power/ground tap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Powerplay

Reaction score
Good Morning,

couldn’t locate Gen 3 Expedition thread regarding radar detector install mirror tap, may be just as easy using fuse box?

Has anyone been successful using the front upper console dome light or the power sun roof/side window for power and ground? Replacing the console with sun roof option, while replacing I was going to tap into power and ground connection for either function and install mirror mounted Uniden R3. Any issues using these power/ ground options switched? Having no luck so far finding the wiring diagram. Besides using my volt meter, any idea which wire is switched ign power and ground in map lighting or power sun roof/side window?

can always run down headliner to passenger fuse panel as 2nd option using an add a circuit to 31. Thought I would save time and wiring tapping into roof console area. Haven’t check mirror for white and black wires yet: It’s a 2012 Ford Expedition EL with rain sensing option.

appreciate any ideas and feedback to wire up the Uniden R3 near mirror and upper map console area.

Thank you,
Brian

A4980D81-B1C2-48D5-8CEB-49CFA3BD95AF.jpeg

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just ran a power tap up from the fuse panel in the passenger side foot well for my Dash Cam that is mounted by the mirror. Not sure which wires you can tap into at the overhead console wiring.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
MIRRORTAP POWER CORDS MirrorTap... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LBKR2SA?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I got this to tap the auto-dim mirror. I have a cobra iRadar detector mounted there. I’ll take a picture of the tap points when I’m at the truck next, but I think I found the correct wires first or second try with a multimeter; you want to find the pins that turn off when the car is off so the detector doesn’t kill the battery.

x46415

Reaction score
I attempted a tap but ultimately just routed the wires down the door side console and used a 12v power outlet - unfortunately, they're 'always on' so you have to unplug it. What a pain...

OP
OP
Powerplay

Powerplay

Reaction score
Langer,

mirror color for power and ground would be great. Tried using volt meter at the mirror connector today and there isn’t much room in there for the terminals. Colored wiring you used would be great. Or even a quick picture would be helpful.

I did tap into the passenger side fuse panel for a dash cam.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Radar? :confused:

Most LEO agencies use laser these days. They have for the past two decades.

Most highway safety codes in different jurisdictions still carry very heavy fines / penalties for having one attached to your car, however... (even though "radar detectors" are pretty useless in the 21st century).

I wouldn't bother, personally. Just don't drive more than 10 mph over the posted speed limit and you'll pretty much never get a speeding ticket.

Pro-Laser-iii.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Powerplay

Powerplay

Reaction score
If the LEO agency uses laser correctly, it is useless. Just let’s you know a ticket is coming. However, not all LEO use laser and radar detectors are legal in all states except VA and DC areas. I use the alarm to be cognitive of the speed.

thanks for sharing 7.62

Last edited:

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the LEO agency uses laser correctly, it is useless. Just let’s you know a ticket is coming. However, not all LEO don’t use laser and radar detectors are legal in 41 states. I use the alarm to be cognitive of the speed.

thanks for sharing 7.62

Well, they are trained to use them, so for sure they will use them correctly. The only "radar" speed traps in larger urban areas that I'm aware of are photo radar (automated speed cameras). If a cop still uses Doppler radar to give out speeding tickets, he or she definitely needs to transfer to a better financed / better paid department, lol!

The problem with Doppler radar is that it's contestable in court. Larger objects such as trucks near a target will falsify the reading and other nearby cars might too. Hence why most, if not all, LEO agencies have invested in laser speed guns + training : because it's a solid, hard to contest technology.

The only hold outs are the tiny agencies which cannot afford anything more than 1960's technology, lol. That said, I was not aware that this many States actually allow these "radar detectors"... probably because they don't consider them a serious problem anymore.

Anyway, you might also want to consider connecting it to a dome / map light wiring, if it doesn't draw much current.

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am a LEO, and I use both RADAR and LIDAR regularly. LIDAR is great for picking out the speed/distance of individual vehicles in a group, but you need a totally unobstructed view with the vehicle directly approaching you. RADAR is a more sloppy science, but is still very accurate. Better for roads where there are not multiple vehicles approaching at once. And as long as you are using an instant on RADAR, detectors are useless for that too. I always laugh when I stop a vehicle with a detector.