radiator support bracket replacement ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aaron h

Reaction score
Im pulling my engine today and after i pulled the radiator out i seen the full extent of rust damage to this support. I think i need to replace it while im in here.

my question being is it as simple as it looks? take apart the front end cut some spot welds and throw on the new one? part doesnt seem to be expensive.

i have the tools and welder to do this just never done it before.

also is there not an option to only replace the bottom of the bracket where all the rust is anyways? i cant find one probably doesnt exist

OP
OP
aaron h

aaron h

Reaction score
nobody knows? ill take pics and do a write up when i get done in case someone in the future wants to do the replacement

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Noticed I am suffering from a similar faith... Albeit, I do not have a welder.. But it seems straight forward as you stated.. Good Luck!

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im pulling my engine today and after i pulled the radiator out i seen the full extent of rust damage to this support. I think i need to replace it while im in here.

my question being is it as simple as it looks? take apart the front end cut some spot welds and throw on the new one? part doesnt seem to be expensive.

i have the tools and welder to do this just never done it before.

also is there not an option to only replace the bottom of the bracket where all the rust is anyways? i cant find one probably doesnt exist

You are correct sir, drill out the spot welds and pull out the old support put the new one in and weld all the holes to the new support.

Last edited:

racer56

Reaction score
Rad core support replacement

Just did this job last weekend on a 2001. It took two of us 12 hours to complete.
The severe rust makes the job a little more difficult. You need to remove bumper assembly, grill, header panen,inner fenders and fenders. There's about 20-30 pinch welds to cut out to remove the old piece. The good news was that the hood,radiator nor evap core had to be removed to do this.
Mig it back in and you're ready to go.
It's a crime these things rust out like this in the first place.

OokeyIkky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you getting your new supports from somewhere or making your own?

hurricane16

Reaction score
New radaitor support job

I just finished this job on my 2000 Expy XLT. I got an aftermarket radiator frame on Ebay for $82. It did the job ,less a few incorrect screw holes and sizes to be redone by me. 1st off, mine was rusted and crumbling pretty bad and the inspection guy noticed it. He passed me but thought it should get replaced soon. After buying the replacement (made in China) I decided to prep the truck until it arrived. Took off grill, header panel, top and bottom plastic air channelling panels, wipers and wiper plastic rain cover (to get at the fenders). Then drilled out 30-40 spot welds that held it to the inner fenders,. Cut the L and R sheetmetal off the rad support with a sawzall and the 2 rusted on/(broke the bolts)/ on the rad support frame. This made pulling the old piece out easier.
So far probably spent 6 hours on it to this point. Then I bungy corded the radiator and ac core up so it would not drop. No need to remove the radiator here. I took off the battery and battery mount, the coolant tank and bumper for more ease of access.
When the new support came I tranfered over any hardware necessary from old to new. Tweaked it a bit as it would not fit at the inner fenders so well with a pair of pliers. I dont have a welder so I drilled/tapped in a dozen small sheetmetal screws to secure it all. I bought 2 new Ford rad to frame bolts (*N800442*S436)and the upper rubber insulators (XL1Z*1000154*AA) (for one side as the originals were all cut off. $60 total at Ford.
Did the reverse to assembly it all together in my driveway no less.!!! One more trip to the junkyard for the necessary misc srews, bolts and clips that were missing/added or replaced from breaking from the original take off.
All toll it was a huge job for a backyard mechanic. Took 3 days and $140 plus cost of gas for trips to Ford and junkyard. Glad its all done now!

Last edited:

LarryL

Reaction score
I've got some really bad rust as well. Just found out from the mechanic who was looking at the brakes. All the body shops are booked for the next month and I'm moving at the end of next week and I'm planning on towing a trailer. Not a good situation.
I don't know what would actually happen if the supports gave out.
Estimates say that the support hardware is around $650 and total labor of 20+ hrs. and total cost around $1650.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire