Radio reception suddenly stopped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

effingpot

Reaction score
Hi there,
My 2015 XLT radio has just lost it's reception and keeps trying to retune with no success. It's as if the "aerial" has come detatched but I guess there is no such thing as an aerial any more but antenna built into the windows or something
Is there anything obvious to check?
thanks
Mike

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At the back of the head unit there should be an antenna lead. It's possible it's loose or became disconnected. I've never pulled the head unit on an Expedition so not sure how to do it. I'm sure there are instructions somewhere around or a video on YouTube or something.

fxdwg

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the aerial is in the passenger side rear window on my 16. Check to make sure the cable connection hasn't been knocked loose there. That's probably more likely than the cable coming out of the head unit.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is how you pull the unit.

I do not think there is a standard AM/FM stereo antenna input in the rear of the ACM. I have not pulled mine yet to verify and they brush over the disconnect and it is hard to see but none of the connections look like the antenna pin.

I lost FM shortly after I bought mine.
If I know the specific station I want I can direct tune and get a decent signal around town outside of town nada.
If I have it scan it never finds anything.

OP
OP
effingpot

effingpot

Reaction score
Thanks all - I suspect the rear window is more likely to be the problem as it's a moving part - opening and closing.
Sadly the connection is hidden away I'm not too keen to take the head out as I'm gonna mess it up, so the current solution is to use my mobile phone
and bluetooth. Being in the UK the radio reception has never been that great on my Expeditions (this i my 3rd!) so this is good enough for now :)